AIR10000 Top Student
Top Student
4 0 1
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

os problems

HP ProBook 4540s Notebook PC

My sister bought hp 4540s with win 8 installed.Something happened with laptop and she took it to service.Only solution was to reinstall os so they installed win 10 becuse they said they can and she has right to install it with license that came with laptop.Something again messed up laptop so i reinstalled win 10 again but now i cant activated it.I used softwer to read key in  pc memory but it doesnt work for win 10 . How can i fix it so in the end i end up with laptop with either win8 or win 10 activated? I tried using hp recovery tools but it either gives me options to recreate win 7 64 pro version  or if i try using tools for win8 i cant run it on laptop with win 10 .Or if try to install win 8 directly it doesnt work as well  because if i read corectly hp installs some oem version on laptops and you cant use version you can DL from microsoft site becuse keys are different

11 REPLIES
Dean Dean
Dean
7708 615 2715
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

os problems

Hello @AIR10000

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for postng.

Here are the specs of 4540s >> https://support.hp.com/sk-en/document/c03349886

It is a CTO model (configure to order) and may come in many many different variants re. hardware components and software variants.

I cannot promise you Windows 8 or Windows 10 just like that because I don't know which Windows version this PC originally had and how Windows 8 and 10 were deployed/activated on this computer. While I cannot blame anybody, the version of Windows 8 or 10 may have been illegally obtained or not properly licensed. Also, the PC may have been licensed for different versions of Windows 8 or 10 (different from what is present now). If you have a working HP Recovery utility and it suggests Windows 7, this may mean you have had Windows 7 originally on this PC.

What kind of Windows 10 did you reinstall (Home, Pro or else)? Where you got the installation media from ? Do you know what version of Windows 10 did they install before ?

Do you have a COA sticker for Windows 7 ?? attached to the PC (on the bottom side) - similar to this one ?

Please, download ProduKey from Nirsoft >> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

x86 Windows >> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/produkey.zip

x64 Windows >> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/produkey-x64.zip

Extract the archive and run the program.

It will open and show you the available keys it detects. Does it detect any BIOS keys ?? Let me know.

Take a picture of the codes and write them down. Do not post them here, just keep them for yourself.

**** It would be great if you use the THUMB-UP+ button below for encouragement, likes and kudos
**** Please, hit the button to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helps **** Thanks !

I am not employed by HP Inc. I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** I work in IT and cyber security
0 Kudos
AIR10000 Top Student
Top Student
4 0 1
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

os problems

Sticker-i dont have stickers like you posted for win 7.Only sticker i can see i with win logo like this

win8.gif

I reinstalled win 10 home version from microsoft site using media creation tools. I dont  know what version was installed in service shop beside that it was win 10.

Produkey is giving me 2 results -same key for internet explorer and win 10 home but if i try to input that key it says its not valid so i am not sure what that key is really for since it doesnt work. It doesnt says if its bios key or not so not sure if its really picking it up from bios or not.

As if it is pirated version or something laptop was bought from normal store and as for service shop it is offical shop for hp laptops where you would usually go if your waranty is still working so may best guess they both should use offical version of windows not pirated one.

I dont really have working recovery utility  tool  as i said before since ones itried for hp site is giving me only version i can use it for is win 7 64 pro which never was installed on this laptop and win 8 one cant work on system with win 10 installed. And i cant use win 8 for microsoft site to try because it gives me only option for win 8.1 and as i understand win 8.1 uses diff keys then win 8 and on top of that you need input key to start installation.

0 Kudos
Dean Dean
Dean
7708 615 2715
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

os problems

Have you tried removing the battery ? The sticket might be hidden below the battery.

If you don't have a COA sticket for Windows 7, this means the PC didn't come with Windows 7 preinstalled... You don't want Windows 7, therefore we can forget about it.

Here is how my ProduKey export looks like (I have intentionally hidden some parts) :

produkey-example.png

If you don't see BIOS OEM key, there is not such a thing present. This means the PC probably didn't come with Windows preinstalled or for some reason the key is not detectable/usable.

Try with this program, too >> http://neosmart.net/OemKey/

Click on Download now button

It will ask you for email and name, just skip that, leave blank and click on Download!

Download and run the app. Let me know if it detects a key.

Don't worry about recovery utility / installation media - these can be obtained - I can guide you for the appropriate one. First, we need to find if you have a Windows license.

It is a CTO model (configure to order) and may come in many many different variants re. hardware components and software variants. There may be no Windows key in the BIOS because not all PCs come with Windows preinstalled, especially business devices, the BIOS key may be undetectable now, or for some reason the Windows you initially had (Win 8 and then Win 10) may have been pirated/illegal copy, or they may have used a different license which you don't have now.

Looking forward to your reply.Let me know if it detects a key.

**** It would be great if you use the THUMB-UP+ button below for encouragement, likes and kudos
**** Please, hit the button to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helps **** Thanks !

I am not employed by HP Inc. I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** I work in IT and cyber security
0 Kudos
AIR10000 Top Student
Top Student
4 0 1
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

os problems

"

Unable to open MSDM table!

This PC does not contain an embedded product key - search for a product key sticker or contact your manufacturer for assistance."

This is what i get when i use that app.

As under battery i dont see any windows stickers ,there is only hp informations -serial and product number.My hope was at start that with those 2 person should be able to get win license assosiated with that laptop but i guess its not how it works.

My fear is that in all of this process service or even me somehow erased that key but on other hand if its written in bios i know i didnt update bios unless hp assistan was asking me to do so ..

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
5905 200 511
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

os problems

0 Kudos
AIR10000 Top Student
Top Student
4 0 1
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

os problems

Tried to see again key with but no oem key"not present in firmware".And when i try to check key with that same program it sees says its win 10 rtm core retail key.

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
5905 200 511
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

os problems

Hi

The only other way I know is a Live Linux disk and CLI, but if the area is empty then the result is the same.

BUT if it has been installed previously then MS keep a record on their servers.

0 Kudos
Dean Dean
Dean
7708 615 2715
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

os problems

Dear @AIR10000

Apologies for the delayed reply from my side.

Based on your comments, I can conclude the PC never came with Windows preinstalled or the key is no longer present. You can consider purchasing Windows 10 license for your PC.

>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/b/windows

If you want, I can provide you with a way to install 90 day free evaluration version of Windows 10 Enterprise edition

Alternatively, proceed directly to MS Store for a license of Win 10 Home (119 USD) or better Windows 10 Pro (199 USD)

Feel free to post again if any questions.

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
5905 200 511
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

os problems

Hi

This may be false hope, but

https://betanews.com/2015/08/31/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10-the-easy-way-no-upgrade-requ...

you make a Genuine Ticket

<genuineAuthorization xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/DRM/SL/GenuineAuthorization/1.0"><version>1.0</version><genuineProperties origin="sppclient">

It is a transfer of a W7 to W10 "licence" in my case, just as a backup at that time.

And the point is these things were made, I extracted and stored mine locally, and are also stored on the MS servers.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation