Post new question
Question
"Bootmgr is missing" after use of Recovery Disks
Replies (28)

Top Student
Message 11 of 29 (7,182 Views)

Re: "Bootmgr is missing" after use of Recovery Disks

DP-K,

I had run both the Hard Drive and the Memory tests when this problem first started but completed them one more time today just to be sure and it again passed them both.  Welcome any other ideas you may have.  Thanks.  Terry

Provost
Message 12 of 29 (7,173 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Terry,

I believe you already have a repair CD for Windows 7, but if you don't, the downloads are on the link below.

Windows 7 32bit

Windows 7 64bit

You should use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD.  Once created, or if you already have this, insert the CD and restart to boot from it.  Select the Repair option.

When you get to the Recovery Options, Select the Command Prompt and type the following commands, hitting enter after each command.  Note that d in the second command should be changed to the letter for your CD/DVD Drive if this is different.  Also note that there is always a space just before a /

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

d:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force

del C:\boot\bcd

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

Close the Command Prompt, remove the CD from the drive and shutdown the PC.  Start the PC again to see if it now boots.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider

Top Student
Message 13 of 29 (7,159 Views)

Hi DP-K,

Followed your directions a number of times with following results.  Note that items in bold are what I inserted:

X:\windows\system32>bootrec.exe(space)/fixmbr 

The operation completed successfully.

X:\windows\system32>d:\boot\bootsect.exe(space)/nt60(space)all(space)/force 

d:\boot\bootsect.exe \nt60 all /force is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file 

I then changed the entry slightly as follows with the following results:

X:\windows\system32>bootrec.exe(space)/fixmbr

The operation completed successfully

X:\windows\system32>d:(space)\boot\bootsect.exe(space)/nt60(space)all(space)/force  

D:\>del cSmiley Sadspace)\boot\bcd  (enter)

C:\*. Are you sure <Y/N>? Y

D:\boot\bcd

Access is denied.

D:\bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.

Total identified Windows installations: 0

The operation completed successfully.

D:\>

I then used the bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd on the C drive with the same result. 

After each, I removed the disk, rebooted and got the infamous "BOOTMGR is missing"

Greatly appreciate your help and would be happy to get your further thoughts but just let me know if it's time to "abandon ship"!!

Best regards,

Terry

Provost
Message 14 of 29 (7,154 Views)

Hi Terry,

The only other thing I can think of trying is a slight modification of a process you have already tried, but it may be worth a go.  The only change is going straight to using your Recovery DVDs after wiping the drive rather than using the bootable CD utility first.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download and install Killdisk on the link below.

http://software.lsoft.net/KillDiskSuiteFree-Setup.exe

Download and install ImgBurn on the link below.

http://download.cnet.com/ImgBurn/3000-2646_4-10847481.html

Go to the Kill Disk application you have installed in All Programs, open the main folder, then select Bootable Disk creators and from that select Bootable DOS CD Creator which will burn the bootable ISO to a blank CD.

During the next process do not worry about any warnings as your Recovery DVDs will reformat and partition the HDD.

Insert this CD in to your PC that is unable to load Windows 7 properly. Shut the PC down, then start it again to boot from the Killdisk CD and follow the on screen instructions for Kill Disk.

A brief description of the process is here Killdisk.

Use this to wipe the whole of the Hard Drive ( f10 ) - ( make sure you include all partitions and then start the process - this may take a couple of hours! !!!

When this has completed, remove the KillDisk CD and insert your first Recovery DVD - Do not use the Bootable CD you created from the download - and restart the PC to start the installation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best wishes as always,

DP-K

Student
Message 15 of 29 (6,931 Views)

Terry-

Were you able to resolve your problem?  If so, how?  I'm running into the same issue.  I followed all of the instructions provided on the thread, but I'm still running into the "bootmgr is missing" error message.

Thanks,

Ralph

Student
Message 16 of 29 (6,666 Views)

Thanks for this.  Having the same frustrating problem.  I am using Windows Vista Recovery (not Windows 7).  Will the CyberLink Recovery work with that system?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-80183-1&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

Thanks for the help. 

Student
Message 17 of 29 (5,580 Views)

Hello, all

I know that this post isn't helping anyone, but I just wanted to add myself to this troubleshooting party.
I also have a similar issue. I got a new laptop, transferred files from my desktop, and found that the desktop had a virus. Wiped both of them to factory as a last resort and my desktop recovered very well. My laptop, on the other hand, is now missing an OS (I believe). I get the same "BOOTMGR is missing" message when I turn it on. I bought the recovery disks after a suggestion from the HP help line, tried to run them, somehow failed, and now I can't access my recovery manager at all. (Also, I bought the laptop with the OS on it, so I have no installation discs, as many "answers" to this problem have told me to use them).

This is a brand new laptop that is necessary for my academics. After much searching on the webz, this seems to be a serious problem. I implore that you with technical wizardry find an answer, if you can.

S'il vous plait 

Top Student
Message 18 of 29 (3,689 Views)

We have been desperately trying to reinstall windows using the recovery disks ordered from hp for my husband's G62-455DX and at first using them got to 98%  and then error was " copy file fails  from d:\PRELOAD\BASE9.SWM  TO C:\RM\Image\BASE9.SWM   PRESS OK TO RETRY"    OK SO THEN i SAW ONE OF YOUR POSTS AND DOWNLOADED THE  CYBERLINK RECOVERY  AND MADE IT A BOOTABLE DISC  GOT THE GREEN CHECK MARK AND REMOVED  ATTEMPTED TO REINSTALL RECOVERY HP DISKS AND EVERYTHING WAS GOOD UP UNTIL THE LAST  MINUTE   IT EVEN WENT INTO THE WINDOWS BLUE SCREEN AND STARTED TO DO DRIVERS LIKE THE VIDEO AND AUDIO BUT WHEN IT REBOOTED IT SAID FAILED AND TO INSERT RECOVERY MEDIA  WHICH AGAIN FAILED  SO NOW I AM TAKING YOUR ADVICE TO USE THE KILL DISK OPTION   MY QUESTION IS WILL THIS FIX THE PROBLEM????  pLEASE SOMEONE HELP???

Provost
Message 19 of 29 (3,679 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

While wiping the entire HDD can help in some cases, there's no gaurantee - recovery discs seem to be extraordinarily fussy with some machines.

This is a fairly old thread and I'd generally suggest a different method now if Recovery Discs are causing this issue as detailed below - this assumes that the specs for your machine are correct and it comes with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Before trying the following, make sure you can still read the 25 Character Product Activation key on your Windows COA label ( 5 blocks of 5 alpha/numeric sets ).

An example of a COA Label can be seen Here.

You can create a retail Windows 7 installation disc yourself using another PC - just download the correct Disc Image ( this must be the same version that originally came with your notebook ) from the link below and use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO correctly to a blank DVD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  These Images are clean and from a well-respected source, however there are only limited versions available.

Windows 7 Images.

Use the disc to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the COA Label when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Any additional drivers and software you may need can be found Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
Message 20 of 29 (3,673 Views)

I am unable to locate that windows 7 download it does not take me to a download  can you help?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation