Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

HI Geeks,

I am working for a compagny with more than 300 hp assets . loptops mainly.

I have discovered that on new bought elitebook 820  G2 with 8GB memory installed, windows 7 is showing this in compyter system information:

Installed memory (RAM) : 8.00 GB (2.64 usable)

system type 32bits

BIOS version/Date Hewlett-packard M71 Ver. 01.12, 11/5/2015

SMBIOS Version 2.7

can someone help to find what is going wrong here.

I really need to sort this out as sometimes, users will complain that their laptops are freezing.

thanks in advance for your inputs.

regards

IT engineer,
Team/Tech lead End User Computer team. Consultant at TATA Consulting Service and Tricontinental LTD.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

I believe you are subject to the 32 bit memory limit that occurs within Windows.

The limit is 4GB, so to use your 8GB fully you would need a 64 bit OS.

Mark Russinovitch, a highly respected individual writes this...

32-bit Client Effective Memory Limits 

While 4GB is the licensed limit for 32-bit client SKUs, the effective limit is actually lower and dependent on the system’s chipset and connected devices. The reason is that the physical address map includes not only RAM, but device memory as well, and x86 and x64 systems map all device memory below the 4GB address boundary to remain compatible with 32-bit operating systems that don’t know how to handle addresses larger than 4GB. If a system has 4GB RAM and devices, like video, audio and network adapters, that implement windows into their device memory that sum to 500MB, 500MB of the 4GB of RAM will reside above the 4GB address boundary, as seen below:

The result is that, if you have a system with 3GB or more of memory and you are running a 32-bit Windows client, you may not be getting the benefit of all of the RAM.  On Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista RTM, you can see how much RAM Windows has accessible to it in the System Properties dialog, Task Manager’s Performance page, and, on Windows XP and Windows Vista (including SP1), in the Msinfo32 and Winver utilities. On Window Vista SP1, some of these locations changed to show installed RAM, rather than available RAM, as documented in this Knowledge Base article.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi

I believe you are subject to the 32 bit memory limit that occurs within Windows.

The limit is 4GB, so to use your 8GB fully you would need a 64 bit OS.

Mark Russinovitch, a highly respected individual writes this...

32-bit Client Effective Memory Limits 

While 4GB is the licensed limit for 32-bit client SKUs, the effective limit is actually lower and dependent on the system’s chipset and connected devices. The reason is that the physical address map includes not only RAM, but device memory as well, and x86 and x64 systems map all device memory below the 4GB address boundary to remain compatible with 32-bit operating systems that don’t know how to handle addresses larger than 4GB. If a system has 4GB RAM and devices, like video, audio and network adapters, that implement windows into their device memory that sum to 500MB, 500MB of the 4GB of RAM will reside above the 4GB address boundary, as seen below:

The result is that, if you have a system with 3GB or more of memory and you are running a 32-bit Windows client, you may not be getting the benefit of all of the RAM.  On Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista RTM, you can see how much RAM Windows has accessible to it in the System Properties dialog, Task Manager’s Performance page, and, on Windows XP and Windows Vista (including SP1), in the Msinfo32 and Winver utilities. On Window Vista SP1, some of these locations changed to show installed RAM, rather than available RAM, as documented in this Knowledge Base article.

HP Recommended

HI Guy,

you are right , I forgot that the max memory you can address while using 32 bits address is 4GB.

I also have Laptops with 4GB installed but only 2.9 are usable. And, after reading the article you have suggested I understand now and it is clear for me.

It shows that it is time to migration our applications into 64 bits OS system.

I will mark your reply as so.

regards,

Patrice.

IT engineer,
Team/Tech lead End User Computer team. Consultant at TATA Consulting Service and Tricontinental LTD.
HP Recommended

Prego

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.