Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
touchscreen laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Why is it that when I reopen my laptop, all my programs that I had been using when I shut it are closed and need to be restarted? I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software problem. I do have Windows set to go to sleep when I close the lid.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@kreykes1

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you laptop is not going to sleep mode when you close the lid and you have to reopen all the programs. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

• When did this issue start?
  • Did you do any hardware or software changes recently?

Meanwhile:

• Check the power options both under on battery and pluggeg in.
  • Select sleep mode for when I close the lid for both.

Reply with the result of the above-mentioned steps, for further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The computer is new and has been acting this way as long as I can remember. I am not happy about it. I am seriously thinking that I should return it because this behavior is unacceptable. I do not think you understand. The problem as I see it has nothing to do with sleep mode. The problem is that my programs close when I close the lid. Is it something with the touchscreen? I suspect that its just the result of a bug in Windows 10. Of course I did check the power options and the Windows settings dictating what happens when I close the lid. I dont' see anything that would cause this. I have installed a couple of programs, but I have not altered the hardware in any way.

HP Recommended

@kreykes1

I thank you for your quick response and understand the situation well.

Use the following steps to change power button and lid settings: 

1.At the Start screen, type power options to open the Search charm. Select Power Options in the Search results. 

2.In the left pane, click Choose what the power buttons do or Choose what closing the lid does. 

3.To change the lid closure setting, click When I close the lid and select the setting to “do nothing”

To learn more about the power options: Click here

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.