Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 250 G4 laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

i have a HP  250 G4 notebook whicjh i down graded to windows 7 with a coplete format, now i have installed windows 10 from microsoft down load page, but i cant seem to register the windows. i have the key from the bios using various tools.  what ever ui do i cant seem to register this windows. i know i know i should have used windows recovery cd from hp but i couldnt wait for the delivery.

Please Help

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Which version of Windows 10 did you install? Did it ever have Windows 10 running on it and connected to the internet? 

HP Recommended

it came with home and i dont think so

HP Recommended

Windows 10 can be activated from the original HP restore disk by a test routine unique to that disk or, the first time it connects to the internet the Microsft Windows 10 activation servers create and store a unique profile of your computer that will allow re-activation in perpetuity. But if the computer never was on the internet with Windows 10 installed there is no record at Microsoft, so the Media Creation Tool image will not activate. That means if you want Windows 10 you have to either pay for it now or get an HP Windows 10 recovery disk for your computer.  

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

hi

thanks for the response to my limited knowldge it was registered and then the hard drive was wiped clean ond windows 7 iinstalled. then it was wiped clean and windows 10 which was downloaded from microsft was in stalled .

we ran the

(Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey command from the power shell and we got a ley but it wont work.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.