Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15 u483cl
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
    I wish to downgrade my laptop from windows 10 to windows 7.  I have a new windows 7 install disk & product key, and have replaced my original 1TB hard drive (do not want any semblance of Windows 10 anywhere near my computer).  But like others, the Windows Install  stalls  with demand for missing driver.  I need the SATA hard disk driver compatible with both Windows 7 and this computer, in a format that Windows 7 can "see" on a CD, DVD or USB, and then load.  Hard drive is formatted MBR.  Can anyone direct me to the SATA driver for my situation?
   Thanks, in advance, for any help.

PS - I have backups and "upgrade install" disks from my defunct HP Pavillion dv6700t which also used Windows 7, but don't think they'd be of use in my present situation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

That is probably not the issue.

Please read the below information for how to get W7 to install on a notebook with a 6th gen core processor.

I suggest you make your set of recovery disks before proceeding to install W7 should the experiment fail, and you will also need to go into the BIOS, enable legacy mode, which should disable secure boot.  Windows 7 is not compatible with secure boot.

Here are the basic instructions to get W7 to install on your model.

The Microsoft Windows 7 installation media doesn't have the native USB 3.0 drivers.

So you have to add the USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows installation flash drive.

Intel came through on this one.  They have a utility that does all the work for you.

Follow the instructions in the Readme link to make a bootable USB flash drive from your windows installation DVD.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Wi​​​ndows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Run this and point to your Windows USB Installation media, and Windows 7 should install.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

That is probably not the issue.

Please read the below information for how to get W7 to install on a notebook with a 6th gen core processor.

I suggest you make your set of recovery disks before proceeding to install W7 should the experiment fail, and you will also need to go into the BIOS, enable legacy mode, which should disable secure boot.  Windows 7 is not compatible with secure boot.

Here are the basic instructions to get W7 to install on your model.

The Microsoft Windows 7 installation media doesn't have the native USB 3.0 drivers.

So you have to add the USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows installation flash drive.

Intel came through on this one.  They have a utility that does all the work for you.

Follow the instructions in the Readme link to make a bootable USB flash drive from your windows installation DVD.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Wi​​​ndows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Run this and point to your Windows USB Installation media, and Windows 7 should install.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice - will attempt and report back. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Re #2:   Downgrading to Windows 7 ... install fails ... cause = Win 7 install is missing USB 3.0 drivers

Paul_Tikkanen was RIGHT ON.  His basic outline got Win 7 to install (but required many interim steps) - but even with Winows 7 installed, I'm stuck without working drivers, with no internet connection to download drivers, and without the OS recognizing the USB ports in order to load drivers.  (even though during install it DID recognize the USB port using the modified installer created by the Intel "Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility". 

So HOW does one create a method to get driver packages onto the hard drive, so the manufacturer's driver package can be executed to load the respective drivers?   Win 7 install will allow you to look for drivers on an external USB DURING INSTALL, but only so long as they are ".inf" individual files -- it will not allow any of the typical alternatives offered by manufacturers (that are often .exe file packages).    Is there any command line method to recognize the USB port and copy driver exe packages to the c:/ drive?   pnputil will only work with INF files, and I'm not sure it would access the [invisible except during install] USB port.

Finally - Paul T. deserves fantastic credit -- dozens of other forums and help sites completely missed the Win 7 / USB 3.0 issue.

PS - Be alert to fact that if you tried to install Windows 7 in its raw form (without support for USB 3.0), and you then try to overwrite with the modified Windows 7 install (after running the above Creator-Utility), it seems that you will fail.  I had to wipe the disk MBR of data (I used dban 2.3.0 i586) - Once I had a clean disk without trace of the original Windows install, Win 7 installed easily.  Took me many tries to discover this.

Thanks to any who can help !!!

HP Recommended

Hi:

If you can browse for inf files externally via the windows 7 disk, download and unzip the Intel USB3 driver from the link below and see if you can load the file that way.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22824/USB-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Control...

You will need inf files in the drivers folder...

If that doesn't work, the only other way I know of for you to get the drivers onto the hard drive would be to remove it, get a USB to sata notebook hard drive cable, plug the drive into a working PC and download some of the drivers you need and copy them to a folder on the hard drive you removed.

Removing the HDD is not an easy task on your model either, looking at the service manual.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SATA-Drive-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UT...

Here's the wireless card driver...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25835/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windo...

HP Recommended

FAST reply; thanks Paul.

I will attempt both solutions,  and report back.

I've had the HDD out of the machine twice already, so I'm becoming an expert at that - but thanks for the tech references; I may need more than I already have! 

If anyone else needs to remove the HDD from this notebook, BEWARE:  The HP Service Manual is WRONG when it reports that you only need to remove 12 screws from the back of the u483cl notebook !   There are two more critical screws under adhesive tabs smack in the middle of the bottom cover.  Fail to remove THEM, and as you try to pry up the keyboard you will be facing significant physical damage to the machine.   REPEAT:   If at any point you encounter resistance to the keyboard separating from the bottom, STOP:  DO NOT FORCE.  Turn the laptop over and AGAIN look at every single screw location to be sure all screws have been removed.  ( ask me why I say this ...! )

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Good that you already know how to get the HDD out.

Then copying the driver files to the disk that way has a sure guarantee of working.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.