Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

by useing the recovery manager and trying to restore the computer back to factory default I get this message that restoration failed due to p2pp burnboot check failed. I have recovery cds being shipped but already read a few post on the message boards that people are still getting this error even with using the CDs and they are having to ship their computers back to HP for repairs. 

Can someone please help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, but if you are able to get into Windows at this moment, then install the update at the bottom of the document and it should let the F11 recovery finish without changing the date.

Without the update installed, you will need to change the date in BIOS to 2012 for the recovery to finish.  If you want to be certain it will go through, you can change the date anyway as this shouldn't cause an issue with the recovery.  Just be sure to install the update when it's finished.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47
HP Recommended

I understand you are receiving a burnboot check error when performing a recovery.

There are many causes behind the burnboot error and a corrupted recovery partition (various ways this can happen) is one of them.  I would wait and see what happens with the factory recovery disks since they were on their way already.

Power the system on and press F2 to run a start-up test to test the memory and HDD.

What is the product number?

NOTE: Do NOT provide the serial number.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended
hp envy dv7-7259nr
HP Recommended

It looks like this unit came with Windows 8.  I suspect this would be related to this issue. It doesn't say it, but it can cause the recovery to fail.

If the recovery disks being ordered were made with the corrected softpaq, then they should work.

However, it is possible that the recovery disks are not yet corrected.  That won't be known until they come in and tried, but that can take some time to complete.

If you are still able to get into Windows, which you may not be able to at this point, you can install the new softpaq on the linked document and that should correct it.  

However, you can try changing the year in BIOS from 2013 to 2012 and then perform the recovery.  If it is related to the issue, then that should allow the recovery to complete and for you to install the new softpaq once you are in Windows again.  The new softpaq should also fix the recovery partition so that the F11 recovery will function in the future.

Let me know what happens.

Signature
HP Recommended
Yes it came with windows 8, F11 worked just fine...and yes the error was this exactly...Yellow Exclamation Point Next to USB-IF USB3.0 Hub in Device Manager

Currently the computer is unusable at this point. So if I change the bios to 2012 and preform recovery I can try this now without the disk?
HP Recommended

Yes, but if you are able to get into Windows at this moment, then install the update at the bottom of the document and it should let the F11 recovery finish without changing the date.

Without the update installed, you will need to change the date in BIOS to 2012 for the recovery to finish.  If you want to be certain it will go through, you can change the date anyway as this shouldn't cause an issue with the recovery.  Just be sure to install the update when it's finished.

Signature
HP Recommended

Thank you very much Cloud_Strider,

Everything you said worked perfectly and the computer is now up and running!

HP Recommended

You are most welcome.  I am glad it is completed and all is good with the system now.

Thanks for updating the community.  🙂

Signature
HP Recommended

HI,

I am also getting the P2PP error on restoring from USB recovery device.If i change the BIOS date , it should work ?

HP Recommended

If your system is one of the affected systems in the document linked to earlier in the thread, then yes.

However, I would like to verify if the system was affected by this or not. 

What is the product number of the system?  This is usually in the format of ab123cd#efg and can be found on a label on the underside of the system or in the battery compartment.

NOTE: Do NOT provide the serial number or the Windows product key.

Signature
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.