Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 6710b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

What could be the possible reasons or faults for HP Compaq 6710b's T7500 (2.2 GHz) cpu usage stuck on 36% as per task manager and as per HWiNFO the cpu fsb clock stuck at around 200 MHz instead it should be reaching around 800 Mhz & Memory Clock stuck at around 32.6 Mhz (other laptop has it at 332.5 Mhz for the same ram sticks).

When checked in CPU-Z the Multiplier value of CPU clock is stuck at x 1.0 constantly (instead it should be fluctuating and should be higher) as compared to other laptop's cpu-z states.

Also the temperatures are all showing normal in HWiNFO. One thing I noticed was the windows system properties and task manager showed 4 GB installed and available but in HWiNFO it shows only 2 GB physical memory available and usage doesn't go beyond it either. screen shot of the sensor report attached when i had disabled intelppm.

hwinfo report when intelppm disabled.png

It is running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with latest updates installed and has 2x 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 RAMs but has gone very very slow in responding due to that.

I have tried following:

disabling intelppm

changing ram sticks from other better working laptop

taken out the cmos battery for around 15 mins and restarting it

reapplied good quality thermal paste on processor

trouble shooting the power plans

But still the same...If anyone can help me out please....?

Could it be due to BIOS being quite old v F.06 and not enough for latest windows 10 version if so can someone please advise of steps & source files locations to upgrade it asap...?

But I mostly feel it to be some hardware fault of motherboard clocking system as I changed the cpu from 2.2 GHz to 1.8 Ghz but same to changed it back to original but same....?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Finally after much research I tried the Throttlestop utility in which I had to activate the clock & cpu modulation to 100% manually and put that process in the startup but it takes around 15 to 20 mins for it to load windows 10 pro 64 bit to its login screen but after that it runs the laptop as expected!

Does any one know of any permanent solution for fixing the motherboard clocking system or some register settings for cpu?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.