Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I bought a Targus in-car charger (APD046EU) for powering my HP Pavilion Laptop (dv6-6166se).  On unwrapping the charger, I find that it is rated for providing 90w and I think that the laptop requires 120w.  Targus just say incompatible, but I'm wondering what would happen if I try ....... a slow charge?  no charge?  Fried electrics?  Any thoughts please?

CJonGrey

cjongrey
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Cjongrey.

Using an adapter that is under rated can be a problem.

Just for charging is OK.

But when using that AC under working conditions it can be a problem.

The AC adapter will over work and could become hot and possible short out.

I hope this helps.

REO

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Cjongrey.

You should need a 90W for your DV6.

Under the battery you will find the power requirements.

P6060021.jpg

V x A = W

18.5V  x  3.5A  =  64.75W

19V  x  4.74A  =  90.06W

You should be OK.

REO

HP Recommended

Hi Reo, thanks for the pointer.  The rating inside the laptop battery compartment is 18.5V & 6.5A so 120W. 

The rating on the charger is 19.5W & 4.61A so 90W.

So maybe the risk of frying is down to the charger's 19.5W exceeding the laptop's 18.5W?

Other than that, just a risk of slow charge or no charge?

CJonGrey

cjongrey
HP Recommended

Cjongrey.

Using an adapter that is under rated can be a problem.

Just for charging is OK.

But when using that AC under working conditions it can be a problem.

The AC adapter will over work and could become hot and possible short out.

I hope this helps.

REO

HP Recommended

Hi Reo,

OK thanks.

That (inc. your caution) makes reasonable sense.

Cheers

CJonGrey

cjongrey
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.