Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Accidental Format of Drive G - did i loose anything crucial?

HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7-4197cl
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My 6 year old laptop running Windows 7 is out of warranty, so here i am seeking help as i am not very computer literate.

All i need to know is how many partitioned drives came with my HP laptop.

My niece was playing on my laptop without my knowledge and had accidentally formatted Drive-G... i know this much, that Drive-C is my main drive, and Drive-D is the recovery drive to restore my laptop... But what is Drive-G which is only about 101 MB in size? ... does it contain any crucial operating files or data that i need to restore back on to the G-drive, or can i ignore the lost data on Drive-G?

I have never added any partitions to my laptop as that is beyond my ability.

I tried using a free Data Recover software, and it identified about a couple of hundred files with 6 different types of file extension such as:

f0020856.reg

f0021056_bootvhd.dkk

f0021248_mediag.exe.mui

f0081920_bootres

f0051186.dbf

f0081546.ttf

Is this a virtual drive, a casche drive, or....?

Can i ignore what was lost, or do i need to be concerned to pay for the Data Recovery software to restore those lost files?

Thank you guys in advance for your help.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,488 23,427 2,167 5,113
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

mming5000

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

While there are several different drive formatting schemes, the one I am most familiar with for Win7 uses the 100MB drive as System Reserved -- containing the Windows boot loader files.

If that was the case with yours, when you rebooted the PC, it would fail with some kind of error message about not being able to find the operating system.

Microsoft Windows Update has been known recently to create a new partitions on folks' hard drives for work space, and although that is generally seen as "Z", in your case, it might have been "G.

If that was the Windows Update workspace, it will recreate it later, if needed in the future.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation