Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 4 (241 Views)

BIOS upgrade on Ubuntu

Product Name: HP2000z-300 cto/5by05av
Operating System: Linux

I need to upgrade my BIOS, I do not have any windows installed. HP did install Linux on some laptops, is there a program for Linux to do BIOS upgrades?

If not what are the chips used for the flash bios, then perhaps flashrom.org can be of help?

Thks, Larry

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 4 (214 Views)

Re: BIOS upgrade on Ubuntu

Hello @ L6Griffin,

Welcome to the HP Forums! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

Thank you for posting. I have read your post, and I understand that you want to upgrade you BIOS with the Linux system. I am happy to assist you with that.

HP does not support Linux system, but here is a link may help you:

HP Notebook PCs - Frequently Asked Questions About Linux (FAQs)

And the chips are generally on a Flash EEPROM, on the motherboard. For the notebook computers, HP does not have a page on the specific boards giving information about those chips.

Best of luck,

To say "thank you", click on the "thumb up".

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Associate Dean
Message 3 of 4 (207 Views)

L6Griffin wrote:

I need to upgrade my BIOS, I do not have any windows installed. HP did install Linux on some laptops, is there a program for Linux to do BIOS upgrades?

If not what are the chips used for the flash bios, then perhaps flashrom.org can be of help?

Thks, Larry

AFAIK that system was either a Windows 7 or Windows 8 install. And if you changed it to Linux and didn't make backup of the REcovery media you will first have to restore it back to the Factory O/S before any help can be givin. And there is no Linux support for that laptop from HP driver page.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
Tutor
Message 4 of 4 (159 Views)

You do not need to install Windows.  Here is what I did and it worked fine:

1. I dug out an old Windows 7 installation CD and inserted it into my portable USB CD/DVD drive.
  2. Downloaded the latest BIOS EXE for my laptop (Pavilion dv3-1075us) and put it onto a FAT32-formatted USB stick.
  3. Booted into the BIOS to make sure that the USB CD/DVD drive was ahead of the SSD storage.
  4. Re-booted into the Windows installation CD.
  5. Went into "Recovery Mode".
  6. Went into the DOS command line (X: drive prompt).
  7. Executed DIR drive: on A:, B:, and C:.  Found the EXE on C:.
  8. C:
  9. Launched the EXE and the BIOS upgrade took off.
  10. When it is finished, reboot.

Be careful not to disturb the BIOS upgrade while it is in-flight.  Make sure that your laptop is plugged into the wall.

If you do not have a Windows installation CD/DVD, maybe you can find someone (friend, store, ...) who does.

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation