Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 9 (547 Views)

BSOD "Driver Power State Failure" - update a driver? and which one?

Product Name: HP Pavilion dv6-6173cl
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am receiving random BSODs with the subject line description.  My first stop was to the HP Support site to possibly update any drivers (like bios??).  I found many driver updates available, including 2 for the bios.  I really have no clue as to which driver updates to install, even after reading the details.  I looked for where it says recommended or required or something but didn't see it.  I then installed the HP Support Solutions and did a scan to determine what drivers it thought I needed and it came up with none.  Now I'm real confused.  Does that mean all the driver updates on the HP site are just optional?  Can someone provide a good site link to read about how to determine which drivers are needed? 

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 9 (536 Views)

Re: BSOD "Driver Power State Failure" - update a driver? and which one?

[ Edited ]

Hi @cjayed,

Welcome to the HP Forum! :cathappy:

This is a wonderful location to converse with  the community, get assistance and find tips. For you to have a rewarding experience, I would like to include the following link for your perusal and reference:First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

I understand that you are getting the BSOD with the "Driver Power State Failure" which is usually an indication of a driver issue. You did look for driver updates on the HP Website. You also tried the HP Support Solutions and no driver updates were found.  If it was the HP Solution Center, that is for HP printers.  

Did you mean the HP Support Assistant ?  If not please download and run it to aid with any required updates.

Have you checked for viruses and malware?

Have you done all your Windows updates?

Please keep me updated on your progress. 

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".  To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs Up below!  :)  If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help.

Sparkles1

Top Student
Message 3 of 9 (526 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, you were right, I did mean to say HP Support Assistant instead of HP Support Solutions. 

My Windows updates are automatic.

My Trend Micro and Malawarebytes(free vers) scan showed no issues

A Chkdsk showed no problems

Device Manager shows no yellow exclamation marks (in hidden view also)

I haven't changed power settings recently if ever

No hardware/software changeds recently

Same BSOD error has happened whether any perifs plugged in or not

The last BSOD on 6/19 did not create a minidump file.  The only ones in C:\Windows\minidump are from 6/10 & 6/12.

I don't know if this has anything to do with my Driver Power Stae Failure error problem or not, but I did a Trouble Shoot of laptop problem scan (comes with the HP laptop) and under Power scan fixed the following:

Time before display dims too long - fixed

Time before display goes to sleep too long - fixed

Event Viewer shows issues with:  Windows Center Security Services(critical kernel power), Service Control Manager(lots of errors), & TrueSuiteServices.  Regarding the TrueSuite Services, googling it, it says it has to do with SimplePass which has to do with the fingerprint device I think.  I don't use the fingerprint device anymore...it seemed to quit working good.  So maybe I can delete SimplePass??

In msinfo32, under Software Environment\Windows Error Reporting, it shows a Fault bucket.. BlueScreen...ResponseLNot available error that happened very close in seconds to a TrueSuiteService.exe application error. Also, yesterday, the day after the last BSOD, msinfo32 \ Components\Problem Devices showed "Security Processor Loader Drive", however, it is not there now.

At least once, maybe everytime..can't remember,  when I get the BSODs, it's usually if not everytime...can't remember, when I leave my laptop on with the lid open and I come back and if there's a BSOD, laptop sounds like it's racing inside.  Also kind of warm but not real hot. 

I've received maybe 10 BSODs in the last few months...not possitive if same error message.

Any further thoughts, suggestions?

Thank you.

Retired
Message 4 of 9 (519 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi @cjayed

Thank you for the update.  Please try the steps in the following link and let me know the outcome:HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Blue Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7).

Sparkles1

Top Student
Message 5 of 9 (495 Views)

Thank you for your reply and help. 

I disabled the automatic restart per your linked instructions.  I'll do the diagnostics today and let you know.

Top Student
Message 6 of 9 (485 Views)

So far from the diagnostic (F2), I've ran the Start-up test.  The following was the results:

Startup test results (800x450).jpg

Retired
Message 7 of 9 (479 Views)

Hi @cjayed

​​​​​Thank you for the update.

I see that when you ran the F2 diagnostics, the short DST failed. This is an indication that the hard drive is failing and will require replacement. I suggest you backup all your important files to prevent loss or costly data recovery. You may wish to consider contacting HP Support for your service options, or if the warranty is not a concern a local repair shop.

Contact HP Support

Should you decide to replace the hard drive yourself, I am providing the maintenance and service guide below. Please note chapter 3, page 31, item 20, for the recommended replacements. Chapter 4, page 62,has removal and replacement procedures for you to view.

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

If you have not yet created your recovery media, now would be a good time. During the recovery process, there is an option to backup your files to prevent loss. Here are links to assist you with the creation of the recovery media, doing the recovery and restoring your files:

HP PCs - Creating Recovery Discs or Saving a Recovery Image to a USB Flash Drive (Windows 7)

HP PCs - Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7)

HP PCs - Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 7)

Please keep me updated.

Sparkles1

Top Student
Message 8 of 9 (467 Views)

Unfortunately this is a bad time to have to deal with computer issues as I am leaving the country for a couple weeks in a day or so.  I'll have to attend to it as soon as I return.  Can I keep this thread open?

Retired
Message 9 of 9 (466 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi @cjayed,

I understand that you need to leave the country for a couple of weeks and will not be able to attend to this matter now.  No worries! :)  The thread will remain open for approximately 30 days without closing. When you are ready just post again.

Have a safe trip!

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation