01-17-2019 11:26 AM
My HP laptop does not charge when on, it charges while off, and when plugged in it says plugged in, not charging. How do i resolve this?
01-17-2019 01:50 PM
What you do depends on a number of factors, including the age of the battery, whether or not the battery is on a recall list, and whether or not the battery is functional.
Things that are the Battery
Information / Tests
HP Community thread on the subject
Article that explains Smart Battery Technology
Battery use and care, how batteries perform over time, and expected battery life
Battery having trouble?
The battery might be OK and just need calibration (balance / set).
The steps to check / calibrate / replace the battery are included in this document:
And / Or
Document includes information and link for using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) (preferred method) and / or using the HP Support Assistant to test the battery.
Tips for extending / improving battery service
Documents and Reference
This document is for HP notebook PCs that have a removable battery.
If the adapter fails it will not power the notebook.
Recalls and Advisories
Be sure to check your Website Support for relevant advisories and bulletins
The battery might be on a Recall List:
Information and instructions: HP Replacement programs and product recalls
- If you determine that you need to purchase a battery, AC adapter, or power cord for your computer, check for the part(s) in HP PartSurfer.
- If / When you know the battery type / part number, check for the battery at the Parts Store
- If the part is not available from HP, use your search engine to search for the part in your region.
Find your Product
- Open Support Home
- Enter full model name
- When the website opens, select category Product Information
- Look for the Specifications for your computer
- The Product number may be listed in the Specifications document
Find your computer Serial Number
Find your part number
The part number you seek may be in the Maintenance and Service Guide
- Open Support Home
- Enter the full model name
- When the website opens, select category User Guides
- Look for the Maintenance and Service guide for your computer
- The part numbers are listed in the component section (wording varies)
Check for parts at the PartSurfer Website
- Select your Country
- Enter your device Product Number, Serial Number, or Part Number in the Quick Search box
- HINT: To see a system-specific list, replace the Product Number with your device Serial Number
- Items accompanied by a tiny box in the Add-to-Cart column are available for purchase
NOTE >> Parts marked as "n/a" are not available from HP.
Parts marked as available for purchase might be available from: HP Parts Store
Use your search engine to find the part number at your favorite online store.
Business Notebooks – “Ship” mode for notebook battery storage – Important Information
Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.
We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.
Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!
Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.