Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
GF707EA#ABV

I installed a SSD to my HP Pavilian dv6000 and to my surprise it has just SATA (Enabled/Disabled) option in bios . I need AHCI option in bios. I looked for the bios upgrade and upgraded to Bios version F.2E, however it also does not have AHCI option which can read my SSD. Originally working SATA spindle drive of 120 GB is working . How do i get the laptop read the SSD. Can i use another Laptop Bios? If yes , please send me the link to download.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Any Help?

HP Recommended

Hi:

You need to install Windows with SATA enabled, and it should automatically set the drive controller to ACHI.

You can confirm that after you install Windows by going to the device manager, click to expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers device manager category, and depending on what version of Windows you installed, you should be seeing either a Standard AHCI controller, or for your notebook's chipset, the Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller.

I installed an Intel 535 SSD in an old HP nc6400 business class notebook with the same mobile Intel 945 chipset and it worked fine.

Also, the drive controller speed is only SATA I (1.5 GB/S) on that chipset.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.