Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-cs2093nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone, I am an Italian user and I apologize for my bad English.
I immediately tell you my problem: every time I use programs like Adobe Premier, after a while I get the blue screen of death and I restart the PC by myself. The error message is DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE, if I check with bluscreenview the crash is due to the NTOSKRNL.EXE driver.

Last month I send my PC to the HP repair center for problem connected to my fans, they replaced fans, motherboard and battery.

I asked to the Italian Hp support call center and they made me do all driver update (I hope it). I also did a clean install of windows.

My PC is an HP Pavilion 15-cs2093nl
-Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz
-NVIDIA GeForce MX250 and Intel (R) UHD Graphics 620
-motherboard: 84C1 15.32
-Ram: 2x8GB Ramaxel Technology 2400MHz

-Bios version: Insyde F.21
-Windows 10 version: 2004 (build SO 19041.264)
-Nvidia driver version: 446.14

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@zHogger I suggest the below steps:

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.  

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F11 key repeatedly, about once every second. Choose Language  

3. In Windows RE (Recovery environment), click Troubleshoot.  

4. Click Advanced options.  

5. Click Startup Settings and Click Restart button. 

6. You can press 4 number key to enter Safe Mode (Enable safe mode)  

7. After you enter Safe Mode, follow steps below to uninstall the problematic drivers.  

8. Press Win + R (Windows key and R key) at the same time. A Run dialog will appear.  

9. Type devmgmt.msc in the run box and click OK button.  

10. Expand the category and find the devices with yellow sign.  

11. Right click on the problem device and Click Uninstall.

12. After uninstalling the drivers, restart Windows. 

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi! First of all, thanks for the help.
I followed all the steps following your advice, after uninstalling all the drivers with the yellow triangle I restarted windows.
Looking at my device management I see that there is a driver that I can't update: DETECTION VERIFICATION.
I restarted windows in safe mode and I found that the drivers, which I had previously uninstalled, were still there with the yellow triangle.
I apologize for the inconvenience, have a good day 🙂

HP Recommended

@zHogger I appreciate you going through those steps, and since the issue persists, it looks like it could be caused by file corruption, and in order to fix it you just need to perform an SFC scan. To do that, follow these steps:

1. Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the list. If Command Prompt isn’t available, select PowerShell (Admin) instead.

Driver Power State Failure Nvidia
  2. When Command Prompt opens, enter sfc /scannow and press Enter to run it.
  3. The scanning process will now start. Keep in mind that SFC scan can take about 10 minutes, so don’t interrupt it.

If you can’t run SFC scan, or if the scan can’t fix the problem, users are recommending to use DISM scan instead. To do that, follow these steps:

1. Open Command Prompt as administrator.
  2. Run the following commands:
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
  3. After running both commands, check if the problem is resolved.

If you were unable to run SFC scan before, be sure to run it after the DISM scan is completed. Once you run both scans, the problem should be completely resolved and the error message will stop appearing.

Sometimes Driver Power State Failure error can appear due to your power settings. According to users, you might be able to fix this problem simply by disabling certain power settings. To do that, follow these steps:

1. Press Windows Key + S and enter control panel. Select Control Panel from the list.

Driver Power State Failure USB
  2. When Control Panel opens, locate and click on Power Options.
    Driver Power State Failure on startup
  3. Click on Choose what the power button does.
    Driver Power State Failure Photoshop
  4. Now click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    Driver Power State Failure SSD
  5. Disable Turn off fast startup (recommended)Sleep and Hibernate options. Click on Save changes button.
    Driver Power State Failure Kaspersky

Keep me posted,

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi, I apologize for the delay in answering you, but I wanted to test the PC deeply.
I no longer present the problem for several days, I followed all the procedures you recommended to me.
I would like to point out that I have also changed the global settings of the Nvidia video card from the Nvidia control panel.
Below I tell you the steps I followed, if it could be useful to other users who has my same problem
Nvidia control panel -> manage 3D settings -> global settings -> power management mode -> prefer maximum performance.
I don't know if I solved the problem in this way or following the procedures you recommended to me, but luckily I solved it and I can go back working without a hitch !!
GRAZIE.
HP Recommended

@zHogger That's awesome, thanks for the update,

Please let me know if you need anything else.

And good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.