Post new question
Question
Broken Plastic Bottom on Pavilion dv7 (images)
Replies (40)

Student
Message 31 of 41 (791 Views)

Re: RE: Broken Plastic Bottom on Envy dv7

Hi Eric i b ave the same problem could you please. Let ne know how tk fix it also 

Honor Student
Message 32 of 41 (554 Views)

Re: RE: Broken Plastic Bottom on Envy dv7

[ Edited ]

I'm here with the same dang problem.  I have a Pavilion DV7-7012nr. 

Now, I will be honest and say that, though this was purchased in 2012, it DOES still work very, very well.  However, the whole thing is coming apart. 

Here are some pics.  I actually hold it together with a clip at this point. 

I got a quote of $200 to fix this cheap plastic crap on the bottom.  For $200, I might as well put that money towards a NEW laptop that's actually built properly...which certainly won't be an HP after all the complaints I've read.  As someone who has very limited financial resources right now (unemployed), I can't be spending the extra money to buy a new laptop, nevermind fix one that works fine but has to stay open with a clip on it so that it doesn't fall apart. Smiley Sad

Any advice?

Tutor
Message 33 of 41 (516 Views)

Re: Broken Plastic Bottom on Pavilion dv7 (images)

Hi. After much conversation with the forum I decided to take my hp envy dv7-7255dx to a repair shop. I thought it was the hinge that was broken, turns out the bottom case is broken because of poor design. The screen is too heavy for the laptop.

I contacted hp (via call) and they state its a FACTORY DEFECT for my model. Im like okay since its HPs fault, can they fix it. That said NO because my laptop is out of warranty and out of the recall dates. But hp never notified me about the defeat or its dates.

Now I've been searching for the part plus having to pay for someone to fix it.

HP, can you please make right by this?! I see others received assistance.

Thank you,
Retired
Message 34 of 41 (512 Views)

@Monocoa

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
Top Student
Message 35 of 41 (493 Views)

[ Edited ]

My DV7-4000 has had a broken left hinge for years now. Sadly the whole case it breaking apart at the left hinge area. Everything else is okay. Out of all the laptops I have ever owned this has been by far the worst. I will not recommend HP to any of my friends. Sadly these bottoms on eBay are $150.00 used which is highway robbery.

Edit 1/19/17 - HP was unable to sell me a case bottom as they have not made parts since 2014. I will need to source this on the secondary market, most likely eBay or craigslist. I worked with Matt at HP today and I must say he was a great HP empoyee and worked with me to make me feel better about the company, thank you Omar, Jeff and Matt.

IMG_9883.JPGIMG_9884.JPG

Retired
Message 36 of 41 (490 Views)

@eostrike

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
Top Student
Message 37 of 41 (454 Views)

Thank you Omar. I did get an email from Jeff today. I just responded to him and will see what can be done if anything. I am guessing nothing will be done since the laptop is not under warranty but this is a manufacturer defect and nothing that the end user has caused. Should have been recalled years back in my opinion. The laptop would have been great if the bottom case was built better.

Honor Student
Message 38 of 41 (440 Views)

I spoke with someone on the phone and was told the best discount they can give is $150 to fix it.  But I also was told that they're going to stop making parts for my laptop by the end of the month (coincidence??) so i have to decide now.

I will say that this whole situation has made me greatly reconsider getting HP's in the future.  They knew this was going on the whole time and STILL know but refuse to do anything about it.

Student
Message 39 of 41 (306 Views)

[ Edited ]

Great advice! Thanks. Works like a charm now... Had to replace upper and lower cases first... got them used but in good shape Smiley Happy Thanks again for the great work. Smiley Wink

Message 10 solved my problem ! 

Honor Student
Message 40 of 41 (106 Views)

Hello!
The lower and the side plastic casing of our HP laptop has broken and bits of plastic keep falling out Everytime we open the laptop.
Please help!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation