Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeckardShaw
6 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Can I flash the latest BIOS on my HP Pavilion dv6500 which is running on Windows 7 Ultimate

HP Pavilion dv6500
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am currently having a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 operating system running on my HP Pavilion dv6500 notebook . I wanted to ask whether I could flash the latest BIOS on my laptop on the Windows 7 Ultimate OS itself or will I have to change the OS .What will be consequences if I flash the BIOS on Windows 7 ?

Because I wanted to upgrade my CPU from Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 1.5 GHz to the Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5 GHz and my current BIOS does'nt supports the T9300 processor . If I will have to change the OS just for a BIOS upgrade then can you explain me the process in an easy way , 1st changing the OS and then coming back again to Windows 7 Ultimate again .

1 REPLY 1
Level 20
Level 20
112,230 102,407 16,065 24,680
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Can I flash the latest BIOS on my HP Pavilion dv6500 which is running on Windows 7 Ultimate

Hi:

Unfortunately we don't know for sure with Intel notebooks.

Some folks said it works fine on W7, but that was for the older dv6000 notebooks with the Intel 945 chipsets that I could find.

I know for sure that if you flash the BIOS in W7 with the models that have AMD processors and nVidia chipsets, the notebook will be rendered useless.

So, it would be a pretty big risk on your part to update the BIOS in W7, with the consequences being a dead notebook.

If you don't want to take the gamble, you are going to have to reinstall Vista, update the BIOS, then reinstall W7.

There is no easy way to do that if you don't have a Vista installation disk.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation