Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't access internet when trying any Linux Distro dualboot

HP ENVY x360
Linux

Okay so I haven't tried dualbooting for a long time since I got so frustrated I just completely quit. So I've tried Kali Linux two times and Debian on it, trying to dualboot by installing it from my USB. Once it installs and I press escape to go into boot settings and to select which I want to boot, I choose the linux distro and it boots up, HOWEVER, I can never get the internet working on it. Every time I switched it on, it immediately switches back on. And when I try a wired D-Link internet thing (not sure what it is, router or something, it's very tiny) the internet goes on but can't find any connection, and when I spam it on and off it eventually finds internet but only for a short time and goes away. Is it just because my laptop's wifi card isn't compatable with the latest linux kernel?  It's just so confusing because I've tried everything and tried configuring the settings on the terminal and turn the things on (don't remember what it was called but I know whatever it was on Kali Linux on a VM it wasn't on so I went in and tried to turn it on but it was already on) and it just never worked. Even tried turning that "thing" off and it still wouldn't work. I really want to do some linux stuff on the actual machine and not in a virtual machine.

3 REPLIES 3
Teacher
Teacher
67 67 4 7
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Seglo wrote:

Okay so I haven't tried dualbooting for a long time since I got so frustrated I just completely quit. So I've tried Kali Linux two times and Debian on it, trying to dualboot by installing it from my USB. Once it installs and I press escape to go into boot settings and to select which I want to boot, I choose the linux distro and it boots up, HOWEVER, I can never get the internet working on it. Every time I switched it on, it immediately switches back on. And when I try a wired D-Link internet thing (not sure what it is, router or something, it's very tiny) the internet goes on but can't find any connection, and when I spam it on and off it eventually finds internet but only for a short time and goes away. Is it just because my laptop's wifi card isn't compatable with the latest linux kernel?  It's just so confusing because I've tried everything and tried configuring the settings on the terminal and turn the things on (don't remember what it was called but I know whatever it was on Kali Linux on a VM it wasn't on so I went in and tried to turn it on but it was already on) and it just never worked. Even tried turning that "thing" off and it still wouldn't work. I really want to do some linux stuff on the actual machine and not in a virtual machine.

Have you check with those other forums about using Kali and Debain on a HP x360 to see if there is something else your missing?

0 Kudos
Seglo Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well I haven't tried any Linux forums but I just posted my problem on a linux forum.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
67 67 4 7
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Seglo wrote:

Well I haven't tried any Linux forums but I just posted my problem on a linux forum.

Not saying others can help here it's that with a Linux distro help here can be a hit or miss and not all hardware that works in Windows works well with Linux.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation