Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop 13-ba0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I would like to delete this folder from my computer but I get an error message like this:

https://imgur.com/a/leLQspj

Try Again doesn't seem to change anything.

Here are some pics of the contents of this folder:

https://imgur.com/a/wiXMNs1

Would appreciate some insight into what is in this folder and why I can't delete it,

thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

It seems like that is a synaptics driver folder.

There may be a file running in the background in that folder.

You can try restarting the PC and then delete the folder.

If you can't delete it, use this free software.  I use it all the time to delete stubborn files and folders.

IObit Unlocker, Solution for "undelete files or folders" Problems on Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP, 10 - I...

HP Recommended

I think you might be misunderstanding my title.

This isn't the SWSetup folder that contains the drivers that came with my pc and/or downloaded (I did a fresh install of windows a couple of times and also deleted that folder not too long ago).

This folder is named "hpswsetup" and you can look at the attached links to imgur to see exactly what it contains (It appears to me to be also some kind of driver but I don't know why it is in this specific folder and not the regular SWSetup folder).

HP Recommended

Yes, I corrected my message.

I guess you read it before I corrected it.

HP Recommended

If the reason I can't delete it is because of a file running in the background shouldn't it be kept on my device?

Yeah I replied to your previous message...

HP Recommended

Not necessarily.

HP Recommended

So should I even bother with it?

I mean the main reason I want to delete it is because it just bothers me that it's there...

Do you think it is the driver installation itself or just the installer (Like in the swsetup folder)?

HP Recommended

You sound like me.

I would not want that folder on my PC and it would be driving me rather crazy.

I can't tell you what the consequences would be if you use the iobit unlocker software to delete the file.

Most likely it can be deleted.

Worst case scenario is you reinstall the synaptics touchpad driver.

Even if it disabled your touchpad, you could plug in a USB mouse and reinstall the driver.

HP Recommended

Yeah my "OCD" is not liking it.

I tried rebooting and deleting the folder and it failed, also I tried using the software you linked and it failed to "unblock" the folder as shown here (Tried forced mode too):

https://imgur.com/a/4v5PK8W

HP Recommended

Sorry that software didn't work.

It usually does.

I guess you have tried everything you can, and I can't think of anything else for you to try to delete that folder.

Seems very unusual that the driver folder has to sit there after the driver has been installed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.