Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 8 (564 Views)

Can't enable hibernate mode

Product Name: Pavilion 550-179NG
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

it seems i need some support to enable the hibernation mode on my desktop. I did everything as described in this

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-550-100-Desktop-PC-series/8499648/model/9728895/docu...

tutorial but it won't work.

I can klick the 'Start --> On/Off --> Hibernate' button or push the sleep button on my keyboard which i've configured to hibernate but the PC performs a shutdown. Normally my PC should come up again using my mouse or the keyboard but nothing happen. Only the power button works but the system comes up like after a shutdown, all open applications are closed. I've also refreshed my BIOS but no change after this. What's the trick?

Rgs. Walther

HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 8 (534 Views)

Re: Can't enable hibernate mode

Hey there!

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand that you have issues putting your PC in hibernation mode.

Difference between sleep mode and hibernation:

Sleep Mode

Sleep mode is a power saving state that is similar to pausing a DVD movie. All actions on the computer are stopped, any open documents and applications are put in memory while the computer goes into a low-power state. The computer technically stays on, but only uses a bit of power. You can quickly resume normal, full-power operation within a few seconds. Sleep mode is basically the same thing as “Standby” mode.

Sleep mode is useful if you want to stop working for a short period of time. The computer doesn’t use much power in Sleep mode, but it does use some.

Hibernate

Hibernate mode is very similar to sleep, but instead of saving your open documents and running applications to your RAM, it saves them to your hard disk. This allows your computer to turn off entirely, which means once your computer is in Hibernate mode, it uses zero power. Once the computer is powered back on, it will resume everything where you left off. It just takes a bit longer to resume than sleep mode does (though with an SSD, the difference isn’t as noticeable as it is with traditional hard drives).

Use this mode if you won’t be using your laptop for an extended period of time, and you don’t want to close your documents.

Looking at your post I think you are referring to sleep mode. Follow the instructions below.  

If you need sleep mode enabled on your PC, follow the Microsoft article: http://hp.care/2bVBqxh

If you have sleep issues with your PC, Click this link for further assistance: http://hp.care/2beDtth

Let me know if this works.

Have a great day!

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Honor Student
Message 3 of 8 (531 Views)

Thanks for the answer of my request. I know how sleep and hibernation works, i used both but mainly hibernation in the past with my former PC. Hibernation allows me not to lose open, not saved documents or open browser tabs.

The problem with my new HP desktop is that this doesn't work, whenever from my point of view everyting is configured as it shoud be.

Rgs  Jo

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 8 (528 Views)

Hey there!

Thanks for the reply your unit will not power on if you click the mouse or keyboard if the unit is in hibernation mode. Until you hit the power button.

Only when the unit is in sleep when you click the mouse or keyboard unit should wake up.

As you mentioned you are having issues with hibernation please try the steps mentioned below.

• Right click start menu and enter admin command prompt
  • Run ‘powercfg /energy’ command without the quotes
  • Open energy-report.html from c:\Windows\system32
  • Or from Current Directory
  • Check for any errors

Error should be referencing to a specific device like Display, sound card and any other, update the respective device driver to resolve the issue Error should be referencing to a specific device like Display, sound card and any other, update the respective device driver to resolve the issue

Chetan

I am an HP employee

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Honor Student
Message 5 of 8 (523 Views)

Hi Chetan,

I tried your suggestions. I got also some errors but they are hard to understand. In my opinion they are not related to my hibernation problem. I'll try to provide the output of the command for you and your professional comment.

This is my Dropbox link>  https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbzynlgecywxupf/energy-report.html?dl=0

Rgs.  Walther

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 8 (507 Views)

Hey there!

Thanks for the reply I have gone through the error log file. It seems the USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend state.

Try the following steps and let me know if this works.

Go to Control Panel / Power Options / Choose when to turn off the display / Change advanced power settings / USB settings / USB selective suspend setting / dropdown menu: Plugged in: Enabled?

I suggest doing so and select "Disable" and reboot.  Then, return to the settings and set it to "Enable" again and reboot to see if that helps.  Sometimes a glitch can occur that will cause a setting not to work properly. 

And also try the steps from eight forums link:http://hp.care/2bEGvwR

Let know how it goes!

Have a great day!

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 7 of 8 (499 Views)

Thanks for all your help,

i tried it as suggested, i've removed all my USB devices except the original mouse and keyboard and i've also set the energy options to default, rebooted and new configured but it won't work. I've uploaded a new report, hopefully it is helpful but i think it's not. Is there maybe an option i've to set in the BIOS?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6oegjmz8e7hze2w/energy-report2.html?dl=0

Highlighted
HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 8 (489 Views)

Hey there! thanks for the reply.

I understand even after performing all the troubleshooting you still have the issue.

Please update BIOS to latest version.

Please use the link to update BIOS to latest version: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp76501-77000/sp76788.exe

Let know how it goes!

Have a great day!

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation