cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Can't use my external hard disk on my new hp laptop!

HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everybody, I've got issues using my hard disk on my new laptop. I have got a Toshiba Hard Disk placed in an Hard Disk case. When I plug the case in the usb by using the sata cable, the system detects that something has been plugged, and I can see the drive in the file explorer (but the system cant even know how big it is, theres just the icon). If I try to open or explore it, the system gives me an error and it disappears. The Hard Disk actually works on another pc, and my laptop's usb port can read USB drive without any problem. I cant see the Hard Disk in the Disk Management (I can only see the internal laptop SSD). How can I fix this problem? Thanks for your help, and sorry for my english!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
26,960 26,888 2,457 5,842
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@JackBack 

What this sounds like is that the laptop is unable to understand the format of the hard drive -- and yeah, that should NOT be an issue since other PCs can see it just fine.

What I would suggest is to connect the hard drive to a working PC and run CHKDSK on it.  That won't hurt anything and should repair any errors in the filesystem in the process.

Then "safely remove" the hard disk from the other PC, plug it into this one, and see if that makes a difference.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello there, thanks for answering! I've just run CHKDSK on my Hard Disk and the system says there are no problems or errors with the Drive. Anyway, the Hard Disk is still not working on my new laptop..

Further Information: I can't even see my Hard Disk on the Bios Boot Settings..

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation