Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everybody, I've got issues using my hard disk on my new laptop. I have got a Toshiba Hard Disk placed in an Hard Disk case. When I plug the case in the usb by using the sata cable, the system detects that something has been plugged, and I can see the drive in the file explorer (but the system cant even know how big it is, theres just the icon). If I try to open or explore it, the system gives me an error and it disappears. The Hard Disk actually works on another pc, and my laptop's usb port can read USB drive without any problem. I cant see the Hard Disk in the Disk Management (I can only see the internal laptop SSD). How can I fix this problem? Thanks for your help, and sorry for my english!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@JackBack 

What this sounds like is that the laptop is unable to understand the format of the hard drive -- and yeah, that should NOT be an issue since other PCs can see it just fine.

What I would suggest is to connect the hard drive to a working PC and run CHKDSK on it.  That won't hurt anything and should repair any errors in the filesystem in the process.

Then "safely remove" the hard disk from the other PC, plug it into this one, and see if that makes a difference.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello there, thanks for answering! I've just run CHKDSK on my Hard Disk and the system says there are no problems or errors with the Drive. Anyway, the Hard Disk is still not working on my new laptop..

Further Information: I can't even see my Hard Disk on the Bios Boot Settings..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.