Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vault-dweller
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX Notebook PC turns on but it won't show anything on the screen

I have a Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX Notebook PC and lately I have been having problems with the computer. When I turn it on the screen is blank, and it seems like it doesn't log into Windows (because when it goes into Windows it usually makes the welcome noise) the Capslock light flashes, the CD drive works, the wireless light is red, on the left side in one of the USB ports it has a small light that flickers a bit and then stops after I turn on the computer. The laptop battery works, the AC adapter works (the light where the adapter connects to turns on when I connect it), I tried doing the thing where you take out the battery and disconnect the adapter and turn on the So everything works except the screen is blank, I connected another monitor to see if it's the GPU that's bad or my laptop's monitor, but my other computer's monitor doesn't detect anything which leads me to believe it's not my laptop's screen but something else. Here's the other thing though sometimes when I turn on the laptop the screen does show up and everything goes in like normal (the orange screen with the COMPAQ logo comes up, the Windows logo, etc...) but when I turn it off and then try to turn it back again the screen is blank, and I turn it off and on again several times until the computer decides to work normally. Right now I'm in my CQ56-115DX Notebook PC and I haven't really done anything to it and I am afraid to turn it off again because I feel like it's not going to work anymore (especially since my warranty expired), another thing that I have is that when the computer detects a new USB, my printer, or my hard drive it makes the usual 'detection noise but the screen goes black and it doesn't go back to normal until I move my finger over the touch pad (sometimes it goes dark again and I have to move my finger across the touchpad several times and eventually when it detects whatever it is detecting it stops). So yeah any ideas what this might be?
Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
432 430 36 61
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX Notebook PC turns on but it won't show anything on the screen

Hello Vault,

You said something about the Caps lock light blinking. I would request you to tell me the patern of those blinks.

Regards

MathewT

MathewT
I am an HP Employee 

vault-dweller
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried looking for a sequence or a pattern but it just keeps blinking endlessly (by that I mean it blinks then 2 or so seconds later it blinks again and so on and it doesn't stop).
0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
432 430 36 61
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So the caps loack light blinks once with a pause in between and continues. Is that what you mean?

MathewT
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
vault-dweller
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, it blinks then stops for three seconds and blinks again.

0 Kudos
vault-dweller
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So no idea what it can be? Sometimes if I turn it and of multiple times, one of those times that I turn it on the computer will run normally but if I turn it off the problem will start again.

If I reset the computer it will also run normally, the problem only happens if I shut it down or put it in sleep or hibernate, so something is preventing it from starting back properly.

Right now my comp is off and I can't access it but in case I manage to access it again do you have any advice for what I should do? Is it a driver problem?

0 Kudos
Level 9
4,472 4,401 257 820
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@vault-dweller wrote:

So no idea what it can be? Sometimes if I turn it and of multiple times, one of those times that I turn it on the computer will run normally but if I turn it off the problem will start again.

If I reset the computer it will also run normally, the problem only happens if I shut it down or put it in sleep or hibernate, so something is preventing it from starting back properly.

Right now my comp is off and I can't access it but in case I manage to access it again do you have any advice for what I should do? Is it a driver problem?

Hello vault-dweller.  Is your name a reference to Fallout?  If so, that is awesome.

The single blink CAPS LOCK flash pattern refers to the CPU.  So, it appears that your CPU is having some difficulties and possibly failing.  Another possibility is that the socket on the motherboard which holds the CPU is failing, which would cause a similar error (sometimes it is flagged as a motherboard problem, sometimes not, the computer just can't tell the difference).  This document has a little more information on the CAPS LOCK codes.

Have a great day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Elorm
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hi, were you able to get solution to you problem? let me know cause am facing the same problem and i cannot use my machine anymore.

{Private Information Removed}

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
10,400 10,963 247 608
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Elorm. If you have exactly the same model of notebook (CQ56-115DX) then try this link to troubleshoot: [Scroll down to the last section “No Image on screen, screen is blank “]

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01881110

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
kingofmyways
3 2 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have been having the samr problem by the sounds of it, with the powering up but not loading.  It has done it for a long time, and I've had it since Windows 7 was new.  I'm not sure about the exact Compaq it is, but it is about 5 years old.  It has always ran really hot, as long as I can recall, and had some wierd issues with it, leading up to this issue.  1st off the battery never held much of a charge, and now won't stay on unplugged for more that 2 minutes, which is why I can't get it to turn on now, it had to be moved.  The first time I got worried about it was near 2 years back, I ran a disk check on it, and it shut down midway through it.  I turned it back on, and of course it still wanted to disk check, and it shut down again midway.  After a couple of times I just decided to skip out on it.  Not long after this it started having trouble booting up if it was shutdown, and within the last 6 months I can't even restart it without this problem.   I do get the flashing Capslock light but also a flashing light above the keyboard on the right side(maybe Numlock, it's not labeled) flashing simultaniously, but about the same rate as mentioned above.  Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation