Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 14 (23,945 Views)

Connecting notebook to external monitor with hdmi

Hi!

I have a brand new HP Pavilion dv6-6137so which I want to connect to an also brand new HP 2311x monitor. This works just fine if I use  VGA . But when I try to connect the notebook to the monitor with a hdmi cable, the monitor stays black (with the message "check your cable" or something similar).

Is there something I could do to make the hdmi connection work - and in that case what? Or do I have to be content with the VGA connection to the external monitor?

Thanks in advance to anyone nice enough to try and help!

0 Kudos
Dean
Message 2 of 14 (23,925 Views)

Re: Connecting notebook to external monitor with hdmi

[ Edited ]

See this document

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02013758

Your particular model of monitor should auto detect the input source, so you can skip that step in the guide. More information about your monitor can be found in the "getting started" section on this page.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=4296902&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&task=&lang=en&cc=us

Intern
Message 3 of 14 (23,916 Views)

It might be worth noting that I have an HP 2711x that I use at home with multiple inputs myself. I have recently run into a situation where the auto-detect doesn't seem to find the input source. For me, this issue has only occurred very infrequently, but the solution I found was to unplug the power cable on the back of the display and then plug it back in. Perhaps this might help fix your problem if it is only occuring infrequently.

Hope this helps.

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
Message 4 of 14 (23,903 Views)

Thank you!

However, that page describes exactly what I already did. The computer seems to detect the screen, but the screen remains blank (it keeps shutting down and then turn itself on by itself, though still blank). I'll try following those instructions again later today, though it probably won't work this time either.

I guess I could call the HP Technical support too, to see if they have a solution.

Honor Student
Message 5 of 14 (23,900 Views)

Thank you!

I tried a couple of times to connect the computer to the screen the other week. It only worked with the VGA connection - not once with the HDMI connection. I'll try again later today, but I'm not even sure it's possible to connect a HP notebook to an external HP external screen through HDMI. Doesn't seem so. The VGA connection works fine though.

Dean
Message 6 of 14 (23,892 Views)

I have owned 2 HP notebooks, connected both of them using HDMI to my monitor, posting this message from one of them right now.

G62-147nr

dm1z-3000cto

Intern
Message 7 of 14 (23,888 Views)

I know that this might sound silly, but have you tried using different HDMI cables just to make sure that it isn't a cable issue?

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
Message 8 of 14 (23,862 Views)

Thanks again!  It turns out that connecting the notebook and the external screen through a dvi-hdmi adapter  solved the problem. It all works perfectly now. For some reason hdmi to hdmi doesn’t work with this equipment  – but as mentioned, adding the adapter solves the problem. So now I'm happy with it all!

Student
Message 9 of 14 (19,449 Views)

I'm having the same problem using a dv4 2160 us connected to asus h233h monitor. VGA works but no HDMI. Is the only option getting an HDMI/DVI adapter?

Top Student
Message 10 of 14 (15,682 Views)

Make sure you're using a HDMI cable not the "easy transfer" cable. The "easy transfer" cable is only used to connect 2 computers together, not a monitor.

Older post but what the heck, maybe somebody can use it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation