Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Laptop, model 15t-k000i
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot see my DVD ROM in File Explorer.  It appears in Device Manager under DVD/CD ROM drives as hp DVDRW GUBON.  When I insert a known good DVD (it works in another computer), nothing happens.  When I use diskpart, it only shows the C: drive.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@mjpb Welcome to HP Community!

Here's what you need to do, to fix this issue:

If a window does not open when you insert a disc into the drive and the drive does not display in File Explorer, and the drive is visible on device manage, it might be a problem with the hardware.

Windows includes a troubleshooter that checks hardware, such as CD/DVD drives, for problems.

1. In Windows, search for and open Control Panel.

2. In the Control Panel Search field, type Troubleshooting, and then press Enter.

The Troubleshooting window with the search bar highlighted

3. In the Troubleshooting window select Hardware and Sound, and then scroll down to select Video Playback.

The Troubleshooting window with Configure a device selected

4. Follow the on-screen prompts to detect and resolve any problems.

If the drive is still missing after using the troubleshooter, continue to the next step.

Under certain conditions the drive might lose communication with Windows even after restarting Windows, which can cause problems with CD or DVD detection. Resetting the computer power can fix this problem.

1. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds to turn off your computer completely.

2. Wait until the computer fully shuts down, and then disconnect the power cord from the computer.

3. If you have a notebook computer, remove all batteries from their compartments, wait 10 seconds, and then reinsert the battery (or batteries). If your notebook computer has a battery that is sealed within the computer's case, or a battery that cannot be removed easily, skip this step.

4. After waiting at least 10 seconds, reconnect power to the computer.

5. Turn on the computer and wait for Windows to start. If any messages display indicating that Windows is installing new hardware, wait for Windows to finish before checking to see if the CD/DVD drive is available.

If the drive is still missing after resetting power:

• Notebook computers: Skip to Clear the upper and lower registry filters.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO STEP 5 ONWARD

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am sorry, but the suggestions to run the diagnostics and to do a full power reset did not work.  I am reluctant to clear the registry as this solution seems a bit extreme to me.  The computer is fully up to date regarding patches, etc, and my assumption is that the registry entries should have been cleared by Microsoft....

Should I replace the cd/rom, dvd/rom at this point?

HP Recommended

@mjpb If you replace the dvd drive and it turns out to be an issue with the registry, it wouldn't work either, because registry is a part of windows, that said, if you aren't comfortable with the registry fix, you may want to create a backup of all your personal data and reinstall windows before you replace the drive, or maybe check this drive on another computer to identify the issue.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.