Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 ac0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have owned an HP Spectre x360 (2017 refresh) for several months without significant issue. I have noticed that when I flip the computer into tablet mode (or use the laptop on its side, as in bed), the side volume buttons will invert so that the volume button facing "away" will always cause the volume to increase.

I believe this is expected behavior, that the volume button will change its function based on the x360's orientation. However, I find myself confused every time I try to change the volume, because I cannot get used to the behavior that "away" is always "volume up." I am accustomed to my iPhone and iPad volume buttons, where the "volume up" button is always "volume up," even if I hold my device upside-down (i.e. if my iPad is upside-down, the bottom button will be volume up), wheras the x360 buttons adapt themselves to my orientation (so if the Spectre is upside-down, the button facing "away," which used to be volume down when oriented right-side-up, now acts as a volume up)

Is there a way to disable the adaptive tablet volume button behavior? I want the button function to be static. (Basically, i want the side button towards the hinge always to be volume up). This way, I will not be as confused. I do not mind if I have to change a BIOS setting, as long as you can tell me where I can change this setting.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @jscity720,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I see from the post that you are having issues with the volume button on your HP Spectre x360. Don't worry I'll be glad to help you with this,

After reviewing your post, I understand the volume buttons works fine, the volume button changes it's function based on the orientation. After checking, I found that hardware is designed in such a way to function. I'm afraid there is no settings or update which will help you change it.

I hope this answers your question, let me know if you need any further assistance, I'll be more than happy to help.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @jscity720,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I see from the post that you are having issues with the volume button on your HP Spectre x360. Don't worry I'll be glad to help you with this,

After reviewing your post, I understand the volume buttons works fine, the volume button changes it's function based on the orientation. After checking, I found that hardware is designed in such a way to function. I'm afraid there is no settings or update which will help you change it.

I hope this answers your question, let me know if you need any further assistance, I'll be more than happy to help.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ahh, thank you for your response. I was afraid that there was no way to disable this behavior, and it seems I am correct. Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.