Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Documents moved to hp.system.package.metadata

Spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new Spectre Laptop operating W10 64 bit. After about two months I noticed (as you do) that my Documents folder was empty apart from 3 HP folders that were there when I bought it, one being hp.system.package.metadata . I found that the file structure and files had been copied to hp.system.package.metadata. What is going on and will this be repeated if I correct it? Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 12732 826 1423
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@wearytchai

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,
MKazi is at your service.

As I understand that the files that were supposed to be saved in the Documents folder have now moved to another folder which is hp.system.package.metadata. I'd like to help you with this case. 

I did some research and not sure why this has happened.

Using this new feature will not change the location for the folders listed under "This PC" in the File Explorer. Many users can end up saving and moving files in two different locations without knowing. To avoid this issue, you can change the settings in Storage, but you also want to change the location of your account folders to the new destination.

1- Go to File Explorer and navigate to This PC, in "Folders", right-click the "Documents" folder and click Properties.

2- Navigate to the Location tab, click the Find Target button and browse to the new location for the document's folder.

3- Copy the path from the address bar, go back to the Location tab, and paste the path in the field, and click Apply.

4- In the "Move Folder" dialog box, click Yes to allow to move the content from the old location to the new one. (Repeat the same process for each folder you change settings in Storage.)

This process will accomplish two things. First, no matter where you're in the operating system, you can be sure you'll always be saving the files to the new location. Second, this process moves all the old files in your system to the new location.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

0 Kudos
LenovoIsBetter Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do not understand the suggestion given as it looks like the recommendation is to get the 'move to' location from the same place I got it - in the location. Apparently you know how to fix it to restore documents. Please let me know or guide me to a help source. Many thanks. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation