Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I need to do a system restore since upgrading Itunes and loosing my entire library and playlists. A normal system restore iw not working and gives me an error at the end saying it was not able to do the system restore. I tried one more time by truning off Norton Firewall and anti-virus auto protect thinking it was the Norton software that did not allow for the system restore option to complete. After turning them off and doing a system restore again it gave me the same error so I figure it's not the Norton.

Then I tried to do an F8 before start up to go in the safe mode and I get a loud BEEP when I press the F8 key so windows Vista on the HP Pavilion is not allowing me to use the F8 key to get into the safe mode to execute a restore point prior to my dowloading at the request of Itunes the new version I did today.

Please let me know if there is something different with the HP Pavilion and F8 key to go into safe mode or is there another way I don't know.

All help welcome.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey Myra, 

I'm sorry to hear you lost your library. That's always a bummer. Hopefully, you can get it back with the restore. 

There are a couple of other ways to get into Safe Mode. 

Option A. 

1. Power down the computer by hold the Power button while the computer is on and Windows is up, say, on the Desktop. Just hold the Power button until it shuts down.

2. Give it a few seconds. Then press the Power button again to turn it back on.

3. You should get the Windows Error Recovery screen which gives you Safe Mode options. The Windows Error Recovery Screen usually comes up every time the computer is shutdown improperly like this. If it doesn't come up, just keep powering it down by holding the Power button until it does.

Option B.

In Windows, click the Start button. 

2. Type 'msconfig'

3. On the General tab, it will be set to Selective Startup already. That is the "norm" or default. Change it to Diagnostic Startup and click Apply.

4. It will prompt you to restart. Go ahead and restart. It should load into Safe Mode after the restart. 

5. Once you're done with the Restore or you want to put it back into Normal mode you'll have to follow the same procedure and change it back to Selective Startup with 'Load system services' and 'Load startup items' both checked/selected.

I hope this helps! Let me know the results when you get a chance 🙂

HP Recommended

this does not work even if i repeatadly hit it after the hp logo, or keep it pressed, or shift+f8

i run all the bios tests hitting escape aftr i killed the pc

i can log in sometimes but it goes in for 10 secongs and then has the usual fault "hp fault page in nonpaged area "

the laptop tries to login automatically and restarts by itself, left it overnight but no change

still same error

"hp fault page in nonpaged area "

thank you in advance

@AxshunJaxun wrote:

Hey Myra, 

I'm sorry to hear you lost your library. That's always a bummer. Hopefully, you can get it back with the restore. 

There are a couple of other ways to get into Safe Mode. 

Option A. 

1. Power down the computer by hold the Power button while the computer is on and Windows is up, say, on the Desktop. Just hold the Power button until it shuts down.

2. Give it a few seconds. Then press the Power button again to turn it back on.

3. You should get the Windows Error Recovery screen which gives you Safe Mode options. The Windows Error Recovery Screen usually comes up every time the computer is shutdown improperly like this. If it doesn't come up, just keep powering it down by holding the Power button until it does.

Option B.

In Windows, click the Start button. 

2. Type 'msconfig'

3. On the General tab, it will be set to Selective Startup already. That is the "norm" or default. Change it to Diagnostic Startup and click Apply.

4. It will prompt you to restart. Go ahead and restart. It should load into Safe Mode after the restart. 

5. Once you're done with the Restore or you want to put it back into Normal mode you'll have to follow the same procedure and change it back to Selective Startup with 'Load system services' and 'Load startup items' both checked/selected.

I hope this helps! Let me know the results when you get a chance 🙂

HP Recommended
Re: F8 key on Hp Pavilion not working

this does not work even if i repeatadly hit it after the hp logo, or keep it pressed, or shift+f8

i run all the bios tests hitting escape aftr i killed the pc

i can log in sometimes but it goes in for 10 secongs and then has the usual fault "hp fault page in nonpaged area "

the laptop tries to login automatically and restarts by itself, left it overnight but no change

still same error

"hp fault page in nonpaged area "

thank you in advance

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.