Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavillion 1540
Linux

Have a pavillion 17" notebook, has bios version F.05, but the fan cycles every 5 seconds or so spinning up to max then slowing again.  Someone suggested a newer bios might help.  The fan is blowing air (and is cool) but have occasionally had a fan failure msg on boot.

I went thru the help pages got the Prduct No and Bios version, but when I click the link to the BIOS support pages I get an error page not found

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@CaptainAndy 

I'm sorry, but HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled.

IF you replace that with a Linux distro, or add a Linux distro, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that -- including solving any problems with booting the other OS and/or installing the other OS.

Your best bet for support now is to contact the support forum of the distro you are using.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

?

The BIOS is independent to the Operating System - Its the same BIOS whether you run Windows NT, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 or Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora

Just looking for a newer version than F.05 but I get a page error on support link - the file for flashing the BIOS would be the same one to fix a Windows variant system, downloaded to a thumb drive...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.