Tutor
11 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fingerprint Reader has stopped working

envy m7j010dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My fingerprint reader has stopped working again. It started working after the last Windows 10 update, but after some time it just stopped working. I got a message saying to "swipe my finger slowly". Other times it said to "swipe finger more to the left" But no matter how many times I tried the reader just did not recognized my fingerprint. Now the reader's light is not even visible when I swipe my finger. I have not updated Windows again since I'm waiting for the latest update of Windows Creator to be available for my laptop.  All the other available updates for my laptop were supposedly installed on 4-17-17

Any help? Thank you.       

1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
21235 1793 6738
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fingerprint Reader has stopped working

@brigialana

Computer:

HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j010dx Notebook PC

If you have not done so, 

Try / Consider

Create a Restore Point

Ensure you can log into the computer using Windows Password

If you are extra paranoid about being locked out of your computer suddenly, create an extra Local account of type Administrator.  Do not assign fingerprint logon to the extra "Admin" account; do log into the account at least one time to ensure you actually have access (can log into computer).

Uninstall the existing BIOMETRICS fingerprint driver from the Device Manager - do NOT tick the box to delete the driver.

Restart the computer and log in -- as the file system boots and you log in, the Driver should reinstall itself.

If no joy - Try / Consider

Download and Save the fingeprint driver to your computer:

sp63418 Validity Sensor V4.5.228.0 W8.1-W10/64bit

Uninstall the existing BIOMETRICS fingerprint driver from the Device Manager - DO tick the box to delete the driver.

Restart the computer and log in

Open File Explorer, navigate to the folder in which you saved / downloaded the driver > Double-Click on the installation file to install the Driver

Restart the computer and log in

IF you are using HP SimplePass, ensure you are using the latest version of the program available.

Click the Thumbs Up to say Thanks!

Click Post that answers your question "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation