Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17-g188ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Laptop came with Windows 10 Home pre-installed. I upgraded this to Pro using the Microsoft Store.

When doing a clean install it installs Home without prompting, instead of Pro. Is there a way to force it to install Windows 10 Pro on a clean install?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I just came across this...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/installing-windows-10-p...

Workaround:  

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro using the following default product key:

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T 

Review instructions how to perform an Easy Upgrade using the default key:

How to Perform an Easy Upgrade in Windows 10 

After upgrading, proceed to enter the Windows 10 Pro product key.

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key

Enter the product key, close then restart your computer, it should reactivate automatically.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

I was reading about that problem, and from all I have read about the subject, the answer is no.

You install W10 Home, and then use the change product key option, and then enter the W10 Pro key and in a few minutes Windows 10 Home converts to W10 Pro.

It's a clean install anyway.

HP Recommended

I considered that BUT it is a digital key: I don't have a product key to type in. So doesn't help me much.

When I get back to work next week I have an ISO that only contains Pro downloaded from SA site. Should? force Pro install. Doesn't help me much THIS week re-installing home laptop while on vacation.

Wait...what? You're supposed to take a break while on vacation? Now you tell me...

HP Recommended

I just came across this...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/installing-windows-10-p...

Workaround:  

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro using the following default product key:

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T 

Review instructions how to perform an Easy Upgrade using the default key:

How to Perform an Easy Upgrade in Windows 10 

After upgrading, proceed to enter the Windows 10 Pro product key.

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key

Enter the product key, close then restart your computer, it should reactivate automatically.

HP Recommended

It's a workaround but it does the trick.

Not as clean as an install straight to Pro but guess I'll have to live with it. Thanks heap much.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.