Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-p076no bærbar PC (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi! I reccently tried to install Windows 10 on my old laptop with Windows 8.1 due to slow performance and alot of junk i had on the computer and i thought it could us a fresh start.

I did the prosess of setting up windows 10 and when i logged in, i did my best to install all the necessary driver. And in the Device Manager everything seemd to be up to date. But something i clearly wrong. In the Task manager when i open netflix or try to us a program, the CPU is sky rocketing and the computer is working really hard and also sometimes it shuts down overheating or i get a error code called Atikm.sys. Also i in the Task Manager/Performance - I cant see the GPU option, only the CPU/Memory/DISK/WIFI. 

I cant open games like World of warcraft/Origin/sims4, because there is a error message saying it cant be read.

Any thoughts about this? I have watched every youtube video and i think i have tried everthing, what would you guys do. Im at the end of the road here.

Thanks 🙂 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Humblebeginner 

Did you do a clean-install or an in-place Upgrade?  Win8.1 upgrades to Win10 nearly always work, but there is always the exception.

Here is the HP product page for your PC -- I would download and save all the Win10 HP drivers:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC-series/6936226/model/723...

The failing game sounds like a file system issue, and that could also be a hard drive issue.

f your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu -- that will look similar to the image below
HP Startup Menu.jpg
3) press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.