Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 255 G6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, I have a HP 255 G6 with an AMD E2-9000e APU and want to install Windows 7 but on the drivers page there is only Windows 10.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Since I saw that the network adapter may not work on Win7, I looked for it, but using lshw on linux I only find it's from Intel Corporation, no model number. lspci shows "03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 24fb (rev 10)"

HP Recommended

Hi:

The Intel 3168 AC card may work on AMD platforms in W7.  It will not work on Intel platforms, such as the 250 G6.

Here are the links to the W7 wifi and bluetooth drivers.   If the card works, I'll give you the rest of the W7 drivers you need.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28505/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windo...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28561/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-7-?product=9485...

HP Recommended

The irony of an intel wifi card not working on an intel platform :LaughingTears:

HP Recommended

Isn't it though?

I think Intel is helping Microsoft enforce its no W7 policy starting with certain platforms such as those with the Kaby Lake and newer chipsets.

My understanding is the card will work on W7 on the Intel platforms, but only if you install W7 in UEFI mode, and that seems to be a very difficult thing to do.

There may also be a trick to masking contact pins like you can do with the realtek wifi adapter which does the same thing on Intel platforms but not on AMD ones, where it works just fine.

HP Recommended

Btw, can I resize Windows and linux partitions from inside linux and have them temporarily dual boot? I want to transfer data from linux to windows with a partition-to-partition method, as my only external HDD can't house all the stuff I have on linux

HP Recommended

You can try, is all I can say.

I have never dual booted any PC in my life, so I can't say for sure.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.