Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 12 (1,151 Views)

HP ENVY m7-j010dx - Broken Left Hinge

Product Name: HP ENVY m7-j010dx
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Had this laptop for 1 year and 5 months, the other day my left hinge just started poping out when I open and close it. It looks and sounds bad, though I can pop it back in, I have a bad feeling it's going to get worse and the other side may start.

Of course my warranty just expired 5 months ago, and I've heard other reports of this so I hope I can get this fixed for free since it seems to be a HP design flaw. I use my laptop as a desktop really so I use the HDMI and only used the actual screena  few times, I lift is just enough to hit the power button, but this still happened.

I'm not sure how to go about this since HP keeps trying to charge people for this fix.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 12 (1,131 Views)

Re: HP ENVY m7-j010dx - Broken Left Hinge

Hi @Broth3rz ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publically post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
Top Student
Message 3 of 12 (1,014 Views)

I have the exact same model laptop, with the same left broken hinge problem everyone else seems to have.  Apparently they used the same hinges on several model laptops, because their are hundreds of posts about this problem.   It seems like HP would just take care of it, when customers call with this problem, since apparently it is a design problem with the hinge component.  I have read many posts here, and some people eventually get HP to agree to fix it...after months of calling and pursuing the problem, and some just give up.  It just doesn't seem right that we have to go to battle with HP to get something like this resolved.  Since it is obviously defective, they should have just stepped up and issued a recall.

Can anyone tell me what specific steps to take ot try and get my hinge problem fixed?  Any help would be appreciated. Right now, I don't even close the lid, in fear ti will break off totally.

Thanks in advance.

Retired
Message 4 of 12 (1,010 Views)

Hi @Realtor91 ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Sparkles1

Top Student
Message 5 of 12 (911 Views)

@Realtor954

I did end up getting a call from HP and had someone trying to help me. I had to give them 4 links that I could find about this problem with this currect laptop to show it's a design flaw, course that wasn't enough. So they wanted to charge me $230 to send it in and get it repaired, at which he said they could go ahead and discount it to $115, or they could send me the hinges and I could do the labor, so I went to fix it myself.

Took laptop apart, turns out it wasn't the hinges, it was the case itself, the holes where the screwed go into snapped out since it's just plastic, now I"m waiting on a call to get the correct part which I'm sure I'll get charged for. Once I get the part, I'll have to rip the laptop apart again and replace the parts and I'm out the inflatted cost of this parts.

If you need to know anything else PM me.

Top Student
Message 6 of 12 (829 Views)

I have the same computer with the same issue.. The left side of the back will not stay closed. I can squeeze it and it snaps like it closes, but when I let go it pops open again.

I have several small pieces of black plastic that came out of the side, so something is broken inside.  If I lift my computer upward on the left side now something starts clicking (I thinks its in the fan). I set the computer level and it stops.

My warranty expired last October.

I'm really disappointed with this. I paid over $1000 for this computer.  I also bought a HP All in One printer last year (it's warranty expires in 7 days). Yesterday the touch screen display went black on the printer.  I have a post started in the printer forum.  If these issues arent fixed I will never buy another HP product.

What is my option with my computer. I was going to live with it until the clicking in the fan started when it's left side is raised.

Don Wade

Message 7 of 12 (819 Views)

@dwade ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Message 8 of 12 (793 Views)

@dwade

It's most likely not the hinge, this sounds exactly my issue. It's most liking the top cover you will need replaced. You'll need to take it apart to see or send it in, I took mine apart and the housing for the screws are plastic holes, they just snapped out so the hinge has nothing to attach to, then the plastic fell out with 1 of the gold colored anchors. You need a new top cover, mine is being shipped.

Tutor
Message 9 of 12 (651 Views)

My neighbor and I bought the same laptop at the same time from Staples.  Guess what?  The left hinges broke on both of them.  How to proceed from here?

Retired
Message 10 of 12 (645 Views)

@conorwatkins

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation