Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15 x360 - ds0005na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I noticed my HP Envy 15 x360 Ryzen 7 is over heating when when entering in sleep mode (charger plugged).

It seems the system fans stop; but either the processor is still active or the battery is over heating in this mode.
After a 1h-2h in this mode the chassis get extremely hot; at this stage the laptop won't wake up pressing the power button.

Unplugging the charger and leaving the machine to cool down for 30min; the machine will start again with the fans going full speed until the machine is cooled down. At this point the machine work as normal.

For safety, I disabled the sleep mode completely on this laptop as it may become a fire hazard.
I am unsure if this could be a bios issue, I have the latest version and all my drivers are up to date as of 13th of Feb 2020.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@Phurien78
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  
use the following steps: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

• Shut down the computer, and then inspect and clean the exterior vents to remove dust buildup by blowing air through the vent openings. Dust can accumulate inside the vent openings and around internal cooling components, preventing the removal of heat.

For more information on reducing heat inside your computer, see Reducing Heat Inside the PC.

• After you remove the dust, turn on the computer. If the error message persists, continue with these steps.
  • Perform a hard reset. Performing a hard reset can reset recorded thermal values in memory and enable you to use the computer again, even if only for a short time to access and save any important files before service.

For more information on performing a hard reset, see Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues.

• In some cases, updating the BIOS might help prevent this error from occurring.

For more information on how to update the BIOS, see Updating the BIOS.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

The machine is new and clean purchased end of 2019 (less than 3 months old, no dust in vents or fans.

Like stated in my original message, all drivers and bios are up to date.

All windows update are installed, hard reset do not help.

The machine is not overheating when in use, only when it enter in sleep mode on its own after 10min, Sleep mode = fan stops.

If I forget the machine in sleep mode with the charger plugged, after 1-2h  the machine is getting extremely hot, the machine won't wake up and I have to unplug the charger and wait at least 30 min until the machine cool down enough to start; at that point the laptop fans goes full speed until the system reach acceptable temperature.

Once cooled down the machine is working perfectly fine.

Knowing the machine can become a fire hazard in sleep mode, I disabled this mode on the machine so it never go to sleep and do not overheat.

Reading other post on internet, I am sure this is not an isolated case and the issue can be reproduced on this model.

Best regards

HP Recommended

@Phurien78

This sounds like a hardware related issue,

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello i have exactly the same issue with my 13 x360 i think this issue came along with a bios update or windows 1909. A bios update should solve this problem, I to forgot my  laptop on charging and over night it was HOOOOT 🙂

HP Recommended

@Darek82,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• What is the exact model for your computer?
  • What is the operating system you are using?
  • What is the exact issue you are facing?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I just upgraded from a prior model which was also overheating (to the point that I believe it caused video issues).  Now, just a few days into the new machine I am finding the same issue as explained here.  After the laptop goes into sleep, i come back to find it VERY hot and very, very asleep.  I need to hold the power for 15 seconds to hard power off before I can restart it.

HP Recommended

@CraigV2,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• What is the exact model for your computer?
  • What is the operating system you are using?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Me too. Has this issue been resolved?

I'm worried that this could be a potential fire hazard. 

HP Recommended

@Bradley_J I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information. 

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.