Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 8 (891 Views)

HP Envy: Action Keys Enabled And Not Working (2018)

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP Envy 15-ae107na Notebook
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Action Keys (F1-F12 Hot Keys) have suddenly stopped working on HP Envy 15 Notebook. I can't adjust brightness, volume, play, backlit, etc. 

I have tried the following to fix the problem:

1. Device Manager > Monitors > "Generic PnP Monitor" Enabled
2. Download and install "HP System Event Utility" driver for my model
3. Device Manager > Keyboards > Uninstall "Standard PS/2 Keyboard" and Restart

4. BIOS Setup > System Configuration > "Action Keys Mode" Disabled and re-Enabled

ALL did not fix the problem!

Please respond with a solution. Thank you.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 8 (830 Views)

Re: HP Envy: Action Keys Enabled And Not Working (2018)

Hi @raagjams,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand that the brightness control stopped working on your HP notebook. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

Splendid effort and fabulous description of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Did this happen after a software or windows update?

Have you reinstalled the graphics drivers?

Let's start off by performing a Bios, Chipset and graphics card drivers update from our HP support website, using this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

For starters please try a system restore to an earlier time before the issue started from this

For (Windows  8 &10): HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 8)

Please select the option restoring to a previous date...

Once done, restart the computer and check if the brightness slider bar has been restored.

If this does not do the trick for you please try these steps:

• Start -> Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Device Manager.
  • In the Device Manager window, look for “Monitors”, then right-click your monitor and select “Uninstall”. Be sure to also check the “Remove driver” option. Once removed, click the “Scan for hardware changes” icon

That will hopefully bring back the adjustment bar!

There is a YouTube link included: Please check that out and follow the instructions mentioned in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8E3BQRzDEI

Please do not click on any link, image, ad or download as it is a YouTube link used only for viewing.

This should do the trick for you.

If it does not work, please uninstall the graphics driver software from device manager by following these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand display adapters>then select the display drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.
  • Check the box that states delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios and graphic drivers from this link:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers
  •  Please select the correct operating system and follow the on-screen instructions.

Here’s the step by step guide for you:

1. Click the Start button, then click Run.   

2. In the Run window, next to Open, type MSCONFIG.   

3. Press the ENTER key.   

4. In the System Configuration Utility window, click the Startup tab.   

5. On the Startup tab, under Startup Item, ensure that there is a check in the HKserv checkbox.   

NOTE: If HKserv is missing, reinstall the Hot-Key Utility application by Clicking here 

For Windows 10 drivers: Click here  

(ignore the ads, 3rd party link has been sent to ensure your issue is fixed, I'm going beyond my way to help you and if you would like to give me virtual high five, Click on the purple thumbs up :) ) 

Hope this helps.   I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 3 of 8 (821 Views)

@Jeet_singh

That's a long generic message... :smileyindifferent:

Did this happen after a software or windows update?

No. Perhaps after a Windows Update.

Have you reinstalled the graphics drivers?

Both graphics drivers have been updated, therefore new installation have been applied.

I'm not a technical guru to initiate a System Restore to an earlier time.

Is there no software update to overwrite corrupted action keys functionality?

On top of that, there were times when my laptop completely froze, resulting in pressing the power button. If this is the cause of a WIndows Update, then a HP software update is due, not the out-of-date 'HP System Event Utility'.

Thanks in advance.

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 8 (810 Views)

HI @raagjams,

If you have problems installing the Windows updates, go to the Microsoft website and use the Windows Update troubleshooter.

Then, restart the computer and run Windows Update again.

Windows 10 update troubleshooter (in English)

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Let me know if those steps worked for you,

If they did, that's awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 5 of 8 (794 Views)

Installed Windows Update troubleshooter, I don't have any Windows Update problems.

Re-downloaded HP Support Assistant and no problems were known.

My laptop is not flagging any issues, all settings and options are correct to use Action Keys.

All drivers are up-to-date. I re-checked BIOS 'Action Keys Mode' and it's enabled.

Is there no 'patch' fix to re-install the fuctionaility of the Action Keys, overwrite any corrupted files or missing files?

What's the next step?

(This should be an easy fix for 2018)... :/ 

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 8 (781 Views)

Hi @raagjams,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue. I would suggest this needs one on one interaction with the HP phone support. 

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 7 of 8 (766 Views)

Sorry Jeet, I'm not prepared to purchase phone support for a minor issue.

Having said that, I have a habit of hitting [FN+ F5] to refresh the browser tab, I've been doing this multiple times. After a short while I hit [F5] and my backlit turned on. The Action Keys have suddenly started to work again.

There could be a keyboard bug which disables the action keys from functioning.

If this happens again, I'll try and track my steps and respond here.

Thanks.

Highlighted
HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 8 (749 Views)

Hi @raagjams,

I'm glad to hear you got it working. 

I'd suggest you keep the computer under observation and check how it goes.

If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time ;) 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. :)
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation