Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 15-dc1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have an issue with my Thunderbolt 3 drivers I believe.

Currentry trying to allow my device, AJA IO XT, to connect through Thunderbolt using a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter), but everytime I click on the thunderbolt popup menu to Always Connect, it does nothing. It shows my video capture card, but on the Connection Status - Not connected.

1. Fresh Windows 10 Pro install

2. Updated bios to the latest firmware.

3. Updated all the drivers using the HP support Website

4. Disconnected the hardware and uninstalled/reboot/installed/reboot the thunderbolt drivers again, from the HP support Website

5. Tried with a different HP laptop (spectre 2018 model) - there, it works. The card shows as Connected.

6. Ran out of ideas on how to make this hardware work.

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@laurlau
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer @Echo_Lake !

Strange thing I have noticed: on my other 2 HP laptops, a Windows popup message says that the "thunderbolt device is not certified for pc use"

On my new 15" Omen, it doesn't show.

I even tried to disable bios secure boot. Useless.

HP Recommended

switched to 1809 build, as one of the Microsoft technicians told me to do.

no success.

HP Recommended

@laurlau

This sounds like hardware related issue with the HP Pen. Hence, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

what? HP Pen???

anyway. from you knowledge, do you think that any thunderbolt enabled system should recognize any thunderbolt device?

I'm thinking that maybe the HP Omen is not compatible with the AJA IO XT..?

But on the other two x360 systems, it works...

HP Recommended

@laurlau
Thank you for posting back. 

To get the answer to this question, Yes! all thunderbolt enabled system should recognize any thunderbolt device.
All Thunderbolt 3 ports are also USB Type-C 3.1 ports and use the Type-C's thin, reversible connector. You can connect any USB Type-C device to any Thunderboltbolt, because technically, Thunderbolt is an "alt mode" for USB. However, not all USB Type-C ports and wires support Thunderbolt 3.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Getting back to this thread..

So the motherboard was changed but the issue was still present.

This laptop does not support thunderbolt 3/2(with adapter) devices as far as I can see.

Returned the laptop to the store..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.