Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey there, all! I've had a Pavilion dv6 laptop for a few months now (Is that how I should refer to it? Just that part? I'm fairly clueless here, sorry), and although it's a fantastic laptop, I'm incredibly frustrated by the way the function keys are set up. For those who don't know, what is generally the secondary function for these keys (Changing volume, screen brightness, that sort of thing) is what happens without using the function key. In effect, that means I need to press the fn key to use any of the f1 - f12 keys, which is annoying at the best of times for me.

I've tried to figure out how to change it myself, but to no avail. I can't find anything online explaining how to either, so I figured here would be my best bet. So can you help me out? Thanks for your time!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Some models allow you to change that behavior in the bios

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108

HP Recommended

I also have Pavilion dv6. Yes, I could change the fn+f1-12 behavior and it worked. But there is one more weird key that did not change. It is "prt sc" / "ins". I have to press fn key to press "ins". Is there a way to change that too?

HP Recommended

I managed to switch off the action keys and it took care of the f1-12, but just last the last poster, I couldn't change the ins/pst sc button. Does anybody know if it is possible to do that as well?

HP Recommended

You will need to use a Keyboard Remapping software like keytweak...

You can download keytweak from here .. http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
HP Recommended

Worked perfectly for re-mapping the 'media select' key....thanks!

HP Recommended

The brightness option is not availeable on the mobile center. It simply doesn't appear. even if try to adjust it with f2(minm) and f3 (max) doesn't make any change and is always at the maximun brightness...I just got a hp pavilion dv6-6104nr.

do i need to download an application, gadget or something?

pls help!!!!

HP Recommended

I inadvertently touched  my F12 button and now the light stays on. This somehow

seems to be connected to my caps as when I am working on a document, I can't do lower case.

HP Recommended

>>>>ambg

The light on the f12 key has nothing to do with CAPS. It is blue when your wi-fi is on and amber when your wi-fi is off. There is no light for CAPS. When you press the caps lock key a pop-up will display that notifies you caps lock on or caps lock off. If you were unable to to do lower case YOUR POST WOULD HAVE BEEN ALL CAPS.

HP Recommended

Here is the solution

1. Shutdown your Laptop
  2. Press Power button to turn on your Laptop.
  3. Press F10 button 2-3 times while Laptop starts booting up before windows OS takes over. Then it’s too late and you will have to restart you’re the process.
  4. You will enter into BIOS screen (Kind of mix of Blue/Grey and White)
    1. Use right arrow key to navigate to “System Configuration” menu (till it gets highlighted).
    2. Use down to arrow to navigate to “Actions Keys Mode”.
    3. Press “Enter” key.
    4. Use Up arrow to highlight “Disabled” option.
    5. Press “Enter” key.
    6. Press F10 to “Save & Exit”.
    7. Press “Enter” Key. (To accept changes.)
    8. Your laptop will restart and you will have your Finction keys (F1-F12) back.

Hope this helps.

@Amyler wrote:

Hey there, all! I've had a Pavilion dv6 laptop for a few months now (Is that how I should refer to it? Just that part? I'm fairly clueless here, sorry), and although it's a fantastic laptop, I'm incredibly frustrated by the way the function keys are set up. For those who don't know, what is generally the secondary function for these keys (Changing volume, screen brightness, that sort of thing) is what happens without using the function key. In effect, that means I need to press the fn key to use any of the f1 - f12 keys, which is annoying at the best of times for me.

I've tried to figure out how to change it myself, but to no avail. I can't find anything online explaining how to either, so I figured here would be my best bet. So can you help me out? Thanks for your time!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.