Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

I have the following laptop:

Model: dv6-3090si

[Personal Information Removed]

Product: WY905EA#ACQ

Thanks

Fev

HP Recommended

Hi again,

Thank you for extra informations about your laptop. I just wanted to be sure that you haven't got this key on keyboard.

There is other solution on your problem. You may remap one of keys onto ' num lk ' key.

I recommend SharpKeys 3.0, because it's free software and very easy to use.

How you will be able to get back to this what key used to do?

You only need to remove the entry from the list in the main SharpKeys window and reboot the machine.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the information - this just confirms my suspicion that some arbitrary decision was taken to remove the Num Lock feature without too much thought for those of us who type in both English (default) and other languages where diacriticals and diphthongs are used constantly.  I'm not sure that by re-assigning just one key will solve the problem, as there are no "Alpha keys" that have FN button numbers assigned to them. If the software you recommend can also then assign a number value to the Alpha keys  P O I U L K J etc only when the Numlock is on then this would be an option, otherwise I will need to buy a separate Number Keypad.

Regards

Heather

HP Recommended

I have a dv6-3070 with no num keypad but I assume the solution will be the same;

1. Call up the Windows on-screen keyboard I created a shortcut and put it on the taskbar to make life easier.

(find it by typing "on-screen keyboard" in the search box when you click on start)

2. Press NumLock on the on-screen keyboard using your mouse.

3.In this exact order; press down and hold - "alt" then "fn" on the laptop keyboard.

4. While holding the above, successively select  your required ASCII key sequence on the on-screen keyboard using the mouse e.g. 1 3 6

(Of course first your cursor has to be active in the program where you want the result e.g notepad or word)

As my cursor is active in this answer box, here you go;   ê

HP Recommended

This worked for me. Im using an Hp Pavilion dv6 and was havign the same issues thanks!

HP Recommended

where is it on the keyboard ??

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am currently experiencing a problem which I believe to be related to this...

Whenever I begin to play a video game such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, my keyboard will not allow me to move...

This happens with all games that are carried out in first person.

Whenever I try to move by clicking down on a key, the key seems to act as a number key. My entire keyboard goes from responding as letters to responding as numbers.

I have looked into this and finally was able to make the keystrokes be recognized while holding down the alt and fn key.

However this is not practical while playing a video game.

Can anyone help me figure out a permanent solution please?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

I ran into the same problem trying to type the ø [ALT+0248] since it's in my name ,when I first powered on my laptop [dv6]. So the suggested solution didn't work for me, because I didn't [and couldn't] install any software at this point.

Trying the on screen keyboard and pressing ALT + FN on the physical keyboard didn't work either.

I found out that pressing and holding ALT + CTRL and then typing L actually gave me the ø. This also works for some other letters, just try it out.

HP Recommended

Oh, my gosh! You don't know how long I've been trying to search out a solution to this whole mess! Thank you so much.

You really have to wonder what HP was thinking. 

HP Recommended

I am suffering a great with purchasing an hp laptop Tm2-2102TU. There is no num-lock key.

No middle keyboard keys are able to turn into Numerical Keypad. I am unable to do faster figure data entry with three fingers. I am unable to type Unicode characters with Alt+ NumKeys (Like Alt+2325 for Hindi क).

Almost all HP and DELL laptops and notebooks now coming in market does not have Num-Lock key.

This is a great foolishness of HP and DELL management, to remove the Num-lock feature.

Thousands of world students, scholars and IT gurus are therefore suggesting the people not to purchase HP and DELL laptops.

Whereas now Lenevo, sony, Asus, Acer etc. other It giants are providing good facility of Num-lock and Option+ or Fn+ Numerical Keypad in their small laptops and notebooks and Netbooks like 12", 11" screen size also.

Sale of HP laptops is going down day by day. Unless HP buy-back all such laptops, without Num-lock facility, or replace the keyboard and related software with feature of Num-lock, his goodwill in market cannot be revived.

All persons going to purchase laptops are therefore advised by the experts not to purchase any HP laptops.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.