Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion dv8 suddenly stops charging & won't charge unless It's restarted?

Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So my laptop has two LED lights, one in the front and one near the plug-in for the charger. Before it would charge perfectly and both lights turned on, then my charger broke and my grandmother got me a charger. This charger worked perfectly but the near-plug-in-LED light stopped turning on. Only the front one was turning on, but aside from that everything seemed just fine. My laptop requires a 120w Charger and the charger she gave me was of 65w. I didn't know this until about a week ago since suddenly during gameplays it would just randomly stop charging after about 5 minutes into a video game or after maybe 2 hours of just browsing and stuff. I went to a place to get it checked  and they told me it was because of the charger, etc etc. Now I bought a new charger and it's still the same, it charges (even though the battery icon says it's on 84% and doesn't move from there) but it suddenly just stops charging after a while again. The problem with it not charging is that my laptop gets extremely laggy and only lasts about 1 minute before it shuts down.

Is it the battery? Please tell me there's another solution... Batteries are expensive.

The reason I added so much detail to this question is because I don't want to leave anything out. Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
20,498 20,486 1,357 2,019
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion dv8 suddenly stops charging & won't charge unless It's restarted?

@EliiAnderson-97

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I understand that you are unable to charge the battery fully and the battery is not giving you adequate backup. I will surely assist you in this regard.

Please perform below steps to resolve the issue:

Step 1 Click on the Start Button

Step 2 Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager

Step 3 Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left

Step 4 Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall

Step 5 Please Shutdown the Notebook

Step 6 Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter

Step 7 Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute

Step 8 Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter

Step 9 Look for "Plugged in Charging" message on the Battery icon

After performing the above steps if you are still facing the same issue, please perform two more steps:

1. Run a Battery Check in HP Support Assistant [Install the Software if it's not available]

Note: Replace the Battery If Health Check Status shows Replace

2. Update the latest BIOS for your Notebook from HP Support Site

Let me know how it goes.
Take care.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation