cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

HP Pavilion g7 turned off suddenly and now won't start

HP Recommended
My HP Pavilion g7 laptop turned off suddenly and now it won't start. The only indicator I had that something was wrong before it turned off was a small notification window started popping up that read something like "USB driver does not recognize the device..." but I hadn't changed anything... I had the power cord plugged in as always and the wireless mouse hand receiver plugged in as always. I took out the battery, unplugged the power cord and wireless mouse, let it sit for 30 mins and then reassembled. The laptop turns on for 3-5 seconds then dies again. I did the same thing, leaving every thing unplugged overnight... the lap top came on long enough for me to see a black screen and a sentence that read something like "press escape key" then the window changed and the screen read "recovery" (recommended) or start windows normally. I've tried both options but then 8-10 seconds in the laptop dies again.
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 10
5,461 5,367 360 989
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@max_iky, When you boot up into windows could you try and get into the BIOS by pressing F10?

Once you get into the BIOS please test the HDD. Knowing you get the HP logo, you might just have a bad HDD that doesn't allow you to boot into windows. 

Here is a document showing you how to test the HDD. Please let me know if you can.

If you can't get into the BIOS remove the HDD and try again. Here is a video showing you how to remove the HDD. 

If you can access the BIOS without the HDD in the notebook, then the HDD is bad. 

Also, once you take the HDD out, try testing it in a different notebook. You want to check and see if the notebook will boot up with the same HDD. Let me know if it does. 

Now, if you can test the HDD in the BIOS please let me know the results. 

I look forward to your response 

THX

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The start up dosen't last long enough to press F10

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
5,461 5,367 360 989
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"Also, once you take the HDD out, try testing it in a different notebook. You want to check and see if the notebook will boot up with the same HDD. Let me know if it does."

Did you test the HDD in a different notebook? 

THX

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't have a different notebook to test with.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
5,461 5,367 360 989
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, so you either have an issue with the HDD or the power switch on the MOBO. I would suggest taking the notebook to a local repair shop and see if they can test the HDD in a different notebook which might save you some cash. You don't want to go and purchase a HDD before testing it. Now, if and when you test the HDD and find out the notebook you test it on boots up fine, then it's more than likely the MOBO. If that's the case you will need to buy a new system board. If the notebook still doesn’t boot up, then the HDD is the issue.

Can you give me the full model name and number of the notebook that you have? I can give you a list of system board and HDD that your notebook supports.

I look forward to your response. 

THX

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your input, no one else has given me so much information... the "official" model is HP Pavilion g7 and the model number is G7-1257DX

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
5,461 5,367 360 989
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, here is the list of the parts that came shipped with the notebook. Now, for the HDD you can replace it with any HDD. You just need to make sure it's not larger than 2tb. Now, if you replace anything on this notebook, I would stay as close as the original parts. 

Capture.PNG

Here is a HDD you can look at if you need to replace the Hard Drive.

Now, for the system board I can't seem to find the maintenance guide for the notebook. 

I would suggest getting a local technician to check out the system model and let you know the part #. 

If you have any other questions let me know. 

THX

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Not sure how the process works here, just joined. Is this where I explain the problem with my HP laptop?
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation