Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
AnnissaB Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Probook 430 G@ won't accept password on laptop, but will over Teamviewer

Probook 430 G2
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Good day,

I have a user who has an HP Probook 430 G2 which was shipped with Windows 10 downgradeable to Windows 7Pro. They opted for Windows 8.1, and so the 64 bit version was installed. The user has been working fine for a week.

Yesterday he called me saying that his PC would not accept his password. I logged in on Teamviewer (it has Windows Login enabled) and logged in without any problems.

Thinking that it may be a stuck key on his keyboard or something, I opened word and asked him to type his password. He typed it both with the normal keyboard and numericals, and again with the numbers which are integrated with the function keys. He also typed it correctly with the USB keyboard which he had connected.

I performed an Alt+Ctrl-Del funtion, and changed the password. I tryped in his existing password, and asked him to type in the same password, but with an additional ! at the end, for the new one. He typed in the new password, confirmed it, and it was accepted.

I then logged out and asked him to type in his password to log in, it still said the password is incorrect. I tryped in the new password over Teamviewer, it worked.

I did a bit of research and found suggestions of performing the reset with the battery and all peripherals removed. I guided him through this this morning, he booted the laptop with nothing attached, just the battery re-inserted. Same thing.

This completely baffles me. Please could someone advise me?

Thank you.

1 REPLY
Grad Student
Grad Student
173 11 17
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Probook 430 G@ won't accept password on laptop, but will over Teamviewer

This is a new one on me I could help you via teamviewer if you want me to just message me. Anyways back to your problem there could be some sort of virus on the computer which is making it play up you may need to do a scan just to be safe? Also what happens if you create a new user instead of password do it that way? Also using windows 8.1 you can upgrade to windows 10 and use a numeric password to do that be so much easier then typing it. This is the only thing I could think of its really strange. You could try logging into the adminsitrator and try that see if it still does it then? Or is iit only on that account? 

Thanks hope I helped a little bit.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation