rational
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Support Assistant and HP Utility Center not working in Windows 8.1

HP 2000 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I know these days everyone is talking about Windows 10, but I recently updated form Windows 8 to 8.1.  Immediately after, I downloaded and reinstalled all software and drivers the HP website has for my product.  I’m having the following issues: 

* HP Support Assistant doesn’t work; it doesn’t even start. 

* Not sure if this is important, but what used to be the HP Utilily Center icon on the taskbar (before updating) displays as a blank sheet of paper, and if I click it I get the message “Windows cannot find ‘C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Utility Center\HPPU.exe’ …

I tried unistalling HP Support Assistant using Microsoft support, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed... , restarting, and then downloading and installing again (as someone in the form suggested) and it still doesn’t work. 

As for HP Utility Center, I tried reinstalling it; I was afraid to remove it completely since I don’t know what it does. 

Everything else, including HP Update and printer software seems to be working fine.  Please help. 

Thanks,

Rational

3 REPLIES 3
Retired
Retired
3,486 2,755 184 356
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @rational

I will do my absolute best to help you come to a resolution with the HP Support Assistant not working properly for you. 

When we have come to a resolution, please share what worked for you with others by marking this post as an Accepted Solution. If you would like to show your appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below.

Have you tried to do the updates in Safe Mode with Networking?

Have you tried disabling your Antivirus program to do the updates?

Have you tried doing the updates using Windows Update?

If you are having problems updating HPSA itself, download and install the latest version of HPSA from the HP Support Assistant Web site. 

Please follow the troubleshooting steps in the Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant

If that does not work, please try booting into Safe Mode (with Networking); 

1. Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

2. Restarting the Notebook once the Uninstall has finished

3. Reinstall the HP Support Assistant from this link. (On the right hand side, please choose Notebooks, Laptops, Netbooks)

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting and the answers to the questions above. 

Don't forget to click the Thumbs Up to show your appreciation. 

Thank you for joining the HP Support Community!
Have a great day! Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
rational
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear EmeraldaAvenger:

The problem was solved; unfortunately, I'm not sure how.  I tried some of your suggestions (restarting sevreal times in the process) and they didn't seem to work, then today Windows updated and restarted and all of a sudden HP Support Assistant is working perfectly. (Didn't occur to me there could be updates pending since it had updated yesterday.)  Thank you very much for your interest, though. 

Sincerely, 

rational 

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3,486 2,755 184 356
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good morning! 

It sounds to me like Windows may have brought in an update to rectify the situation. Which is fantastic! The main point is that you are up and running and ready to keep rocking! 

I am very glad that the situation was resolved for you! 

Take care 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation