Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 9 (3,861 Views)

HP recovery manager and hp setup manager not working with windows 10

Product Name: pavilion g7-1219wm
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a hp pavilion g7-1219wm Notebook PC and upgraded from windows 7 home premium to the new windows 10 and the hp set up manager and hp recovery manager will not open the user account  control says this app has been blocked for your protection. I do not know if my Norton 360 is blocking it or what. Windows 10 also did not load the hp wifi connection manager.  My hp launch box ans hp support assistant works fine. Does anyone else have this problem?

0 Kudos
Student
Message 2 of 9 (3,825 Views)

Re: HP recovery manager and hp setup manager not working with windows 10

I have a HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC and I have experienced the same problem with HP Setup Manager after upgradingfrom Windows 7 to Windows 10. It has also de-activated my Microsoft Office 2010 and completely got rid of my Norton antivirus program. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks

WinonaJS

Intern
Message 3 of 9 (3,786 Views)

It's happening to me too and I made a comment about this on another form post: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TouchSmart-PC/HP-Recovery-Manager-Blocked-After-Windows-10-Upgrade/m-p/...

I'm thinking it could be an licensing issue as Windows says the certificate has been revoked.

Intern
Message 4 of 9 (3,731 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok I found a fix. It was the certificate.

What you need to do is:

1. Open "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery Manager" in file explorer.

2. Right click on Rebecca.exe (Recovery Program) and click "copy".

3. Paste it on your desktop.

4. Unzip this download http://www.fluxbytes.com/software-releases/fileunsigner-v1-0/

5. Drag your copied version of Rebecca.exe onto FileUnsigner.exe

6. Right click on Rebecca.exe on the desktop and click "copy".

7. Paste it back into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery Manager" and say yes to replacing it with existing file.

8. Search "HP Recovery Manager", click on it and a prompt will come up, click "yes" and it should open. Smiley Happy

You can repeat this for other programs that are blocked. It basically removes the outdated certificate that is preventing it to open in Windows 10.

HP Setup Manager is located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Setup Manager" called "hpDST.exe".

Honor Student
Message 5 of 9 (3,709 Views)

Thank You for that 93ben but that is a little bit over my head as I am not that computer literate is Microsoft or Hp going to create a windows update  to fix the problem or do you even know this??

Tutor
Message 6 of 9 (3,648 Views)

I too have this issue with HP Pavilion g6 Notebook. Rebecca gets blocked so I reinstalled operating system 3 times with same result. I would prefer HP to please fix this issue. Also noticed that IDT Audio and Synaptics mouse pad don't lock in changes made after shutting down and starting up again!

Intern
Message 7 of 9 (3,602 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sorry but I doubt HP will create a fix for this since they told me on twitter that "There will be no fix as this is how the OS works." https://twitter.com/HPSupport/status/628915746295447553

Not sure if microsoft will change their security settings either to allow outdated certificates.

So atm this is the only soluction unfortnately.

Student
Message 8 of 9 (1,810 Views)

Yes I have the same problem, I cannot load mu HP printer software; it always says it is blocked. Help

Student
Message 9 of 9 (1,207 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much 93ben!  You are awesome!   This worked for me :D

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation