Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi, I had a popup on my HP laptop telling me that I got a virus and to call the number provided.  I did not call that number, but called what I thought was Microsoft's number (gotten from Google, not the Microsoft homepage).  The person I reached said he can help me, that he works for Microsoft.  I let him onto my laptop where he ran some HP software that found multiple issues with my laptop.

He then proceeded to "fix" them and then told me that I will owe him $400 when done, but he didn't tell me that until after he started working on my laptop remotely.  He said his company that contracts with Microsoft  name is Cloudyne Technologies (out of Cananda and India?).  I can barely find anything on this company online.  Was this a scammer?  My credit card company declined to pay this bill, which was good. 

Does anyone know if this company is legit?  The tech keeps calling me wanting to pay. 

Thank you for any information.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Crusher78 

Please do not allow ANY person to work on your machine when you do not know who they are. Google shows it is a company in Canada

https://www.apollo.io/companies/Cloudyne-Technologies-Ltd-/5e5704c53d0bba0001e38c73

But I don't know who they are and what do they do.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.