Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

As the title indicates I only have to use the fn key when using f5. All other hotkeys work without using fn at the same time. I've enabled the hotkeys to be used without the fn key in the BIOS but still f5 won't play ball.

HP 14s-dq1504sa 14" Laptop 

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Joseph302 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing issues with hotkeys.

Here’s the step by step guide for you: 

  

1. Click the Start button, then click Run.   

2. In the Run window, next to Open, type MSCONFIG.   

3. Press the ENTER key.   

4. In the System Configuration Utility window, click the Startup tab.   

5. On the Startup tab, under Startup Item, ensure that there is a check in the HKserv checkbox.   

NOTE: If HKserv is missing, reinstall the Hot-Key Utility application by Clicking here  

If the above doesn't help, please create another User account as suggested earlier and try again. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Capture.PNGHi there, so following your instructions didn't work. Am I missing some other software? I did try installing HKserv but that link you provided was for the HP system event utility app which I used to try to find the HKserv in services (I assume it should be here?) but wasn't here. Can you point me in the direction of this? I'm a little confused why the lack of this program would cause just one of the hot keys to be different.  Also what do you mean by creating a new account? A new windows account?

Capture 2.PNGCapture 4.PNGCapture 5.PNG

Capture 1.PNG

HP Recommended

Hopefully you can see those screenshots which'll make it easier to follow. I've just noticed with the action keys disabled in the BIOS the f5 button doesn't require the fn key but the others do. Why is f5 programmed differently??

HP Recommended

@Joseph302

Try updating the computer, this will install the latest updates -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hi Praveen, 

Updated the computer via windows and the hp assistant thing but hasn't changed anything.

I think it's just a fundamental design flaw from hp tbh.

If there's another way to reprogram the computer to address this please let me know.

Is there a way I can report this issue to HP as feedback?

HP Recommended

@Joseph302

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.