Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6-3187la
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm very frustated, Turbo Boost is not working on my Pavilion dv6-3187la, my procesor is intel core i7 720 QM. I downloaded the turbo boost monitor and it runs it but the processor doesn't ever got past the 1.45 GHz. I played video games with it but it doesn't have the performance it should. When I tested it with video games and also with intels core streess benchmarks the processor does estress and reaches 90% but never enters turbo boost. Feels sad. A gaming laptop that can't game. I have Radeon graphics, I bought this device just for the turbo boost, exactly for that and it doesn't work. There is no option to enable it in the bios, I went to System configuration and it doesn't give me an option for turbo boost at all, only virtualization options which are already enabled. I have my power settings from control panel set to performance. I have done everything I can. There's not much useful information in the forums and the general internet. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Which BIOS version do you have? 

Also I have read on some other internet forums that you actually want "balanced" mode not "performance" as the latter will sometimes lock the CPU at it highest normal frequency and prevent Turbo. Also in the BIOS you should have an option for Speed Stepping and that needs to be enabled. 

HP Recommended

I have done everything. I'm done. I spent the last 16 hours reading forums. Installing all kinds of drivvers and updates, messing with bios which is nothing really, it's a very simple bios. Bios does not give me an option to enable or disable turbo boost at all. Only option for procesor is enable virtualization, thats it. There's nothing in bios. I'm done, I give up. I will sell this laptop and I will buy a new one whenever I can. The thing about this laptop was the turbo boost up to 2.8 GHz, withouth the turbo boost 1.4 Ghz out of the 1.6 GHz that never reaches is pretty much useless. Feels bad man. I tried tho. In the forums no one knows anything. I've read a lot of stuff. And setting the power options to balanced is wrong. That only made the cpu even slower. Doesn't make any sense at all. And the bios... Well... Does not have any options for turbo boost at all, anywhere. Not like it has many options either. GG.

HP Recommended

Well, I think I have solved the issue (NOT FIXED IT) but solved what's goin on.  I tried to update bios but it did not let me, neither with the windows commands or from the HP website. When I tried to do it from the HP website an administrator blcoked it. It seems that there's no updates for drivers for windows 10 in this model. The reason why I wanted to update or reinstall bios is because the bios in this computers do not have an options for turbo boost enable or disable. The bios in this devices are the most simple bios I've seen really. Only option in "advanced" that are useful out of 5 options are only 2 which are "enable vitualization" and "enable LAN something about the power usage" so I did disable the LAN option for power consumption and when I reestarted the computer still same issue. The interesting part is that I was about to go to sleep and I turned on the laptop to check something I forgot to do and since I was not in my desk I had to grab the baterry and plug it in. So I started the device just with the baterry, (the device was cool since I just started it and pluged in ONLY TO THE BATTERY NOT THE POWER) and when I got into windows the turbo boost monitor came up and I saw it was overclocking. But it did not last long, only like 3 mins,  I opened a video game to see if it would stay overclocking and it was not anymore. I pluged in the power and did not do it anymore, I pluged the power with the battery in and did not do it anymore. So, I guess the device is just made to work like that. Only over clocks when baterry full and device is super cool and just started.  Then the Turbo Boost is completely useless in this devices. Anyway, I had read something similar in another forum post. A guy had the issue and months later came back explaining that he had some king of power issue and had to plug in only the full charged baterry into the device, and he said that the device was turbo boosting. So, I just came back to let people know about this information, because the forums have not helped at all. I think this is the fardest someone has gotten into understanding this issue. 1) The bios in this kind of devices DO NOT have an option for enable or diable turbo boost, it's literallly automatic. 2) It only works when battery fulled charged, system super cooled down, and for some reason in my case for only a few minutes (3 mins). 2) Set power settings in Control Panel to "performance' NOT balanced, NOT recomended. 4) Disable all possible power saving options inbios even if they don't make sense. I disabled LAN option for power consumption control. 5) If device is older than 3 years clean fan, raditor and change thermal paste on both the processor CPU and the video card GPU. My bios does not have many options is very simple. Not like I had many. This is by far all the information I am able to provide about the issue. I guess that the best thing people like me, in this situation can do is just buy a device with a higher base GHz to not risk my performance to depend on things like this, because HP drivers do not get updated for all their products and whatever..... This is one of those devices they have forgotten. Anyhow. I hope this helps someone understand the issue, I spent all night and day yesterday (19 straight hours working on this device and the turbo boost issue) I have learned  a lot. It seems like this laptop is destined to be this way. It does have turbo funcionality but it doesn't activate for more than 3 mins if it ever does, when you start the laptop plugged in to the fully charged BATERRY ONLY (not the power) if you plug it in to the power or remove the baterry it never does it not even for 3 mins.  Whoever reads this have a good day, remember everything in life has a solution, EVERYGHING. The only thing that does not is death. So keep your head up. Cheeers.

HP Recommended

Had the same same problem , same CPU , DV6 2005TX, Windows 10, 1809. Turned out the Cpu was not getting enough power, long story short , i kept hooking up a bigger AC adapter until i got to 6.5 amp then it work perfect. Hope this helps someone.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.