Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 7640 Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All ! 🙂

How do I change the scan density (dpi) on my HP Envy 7640 All-in-one-Printer?
It would be helpful if you could give navigation & instructions in a consecutive manner.

My goal is to enlarge or reduce the print size (width and height) of text documents and other documents that include graphic art renderings with text discriptions. These printouts are for a small booklet of information I'm making for personal use (not for publication.).

I  discovered that it's possible to render a conversion ratio in inches  by dividing the print width desired in inches by the  the image width in pixels. For example, to get a print width of 4.375"  I divided 4.375" by 420 pixels and this rendered a ratio of 0.010416667. Likewise, to get a print height of 5.375"  I divided 5.375" by 516 pixels and this also rendered a conversion ratio of 0.010416667 and I could use this ratio to find the print width and height in inches, knowing the width and height in pixels of an image by multiplying the image width or height by the ratio above. However,  this same ratio number would not be correct for any other applications involving different print width and height inch sizes and pixel counts, since each model and style of printer produces its own unique DPI, based on its settings. For example, Inkjet printers (Like the HP ENVY 7640) can produce a resolution of around 300 to 720 DPI. In addition, there is no "standard" dot size or dot shape used in the printer manufacturing industry.

Please return to my opening question above.

Thanks much !
ToddB78

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@ToddB78 

Printers use dpi (dot per inch) to scan and normally 300dpi is a default number for most printers. More dpi printers will scan slower and output files will be bigger.

Given you have installed printer software and drivers on your computer. You can simply

(a) Open HP Scan,

(b) Select Scan a document or photo,

(c) From next screen you can select dpi.

On MANY printers which support duplex scanning or using ADF, you can't make dpi greater 300.

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Banhien !

Thanks for your reply to my subject question.  Since I'm a brand new member here and not familiar with where things are located on the site, where do I find HP SCAN ?  I've looked around, but no luck. 😕

ToddB78

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.