Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840
Windows 7

How do I disable to home key on my keyboard? When I'm typing and accidentally hit it instead of delete, it puts the cursor back to the start, and I might type several words before realizing this. What a pain! AM I the only one with this problem? Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have looked into your issue about your Elitebook 840 and issues with the Touchpad.

To get your issue more exposure I would suggest posting it in the commercial forums since this is a commercial product. You can do this at Commercial Forums.

Even though this is a Commercial product, here is a document on how to troubleshoot the mouse and Touchpad gestures.

In the document, it shows you how to change the settings by clicking the settings icon to adjust the button actions on the Touchpad.

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi there. I think  you must have misunderstood my question.

I am trying to disable the home key on my keyboard. I am running Windows 7. I have done this in the past with notebooks I have owned.

I could not find the "commercial forums" that your link was supposed to send me to, so if you can give me any additional useful information that would be great.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hey @snowrt ,

Control Panel - Keyboard -It should have a Key Settings there which will allow you to change or disable that key.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

HI Snowrt,

Am having trhe same annoying time with that home key...did you find out how to disable it, I can' t from the advise given. 

Really appreciate a solution,

Jerry

HP Recommended

Unforutnately this also does not work.  Has anyone found a solution to this problem?  Thanks much.

HP Recommended

Was this issue ever resovled.  I'm having the same issue where I accidentally hit the home button frequently and its very annoying.  I can't seem to find a way to change it.

HP Recommended

NO IT HAS NOT BEEN RESOLVED because there is no solution!  

THIS IS AWEFUL!!! I am ready to throw this computer out the window- who designs a keyboard, putting a key that moves the cursor to the beginning of a page smack next to the backspace key?!!! 

This causes so much undo hassle.  I have been typing for over 30 yrs and have never needed a 'home' key!  In the rare instance where I need to get my cursor to the beginning of what I am typing, I will place it there myself!  So much hassle when this key is hit by accident (all the time!) 

I am not officially finished w HP! 

- and it is absolutely obvious that this forum is useless, as no HP rep has correctly addressed this issue- from the initial response obviously not reading the original post, to the pass-on to the 'commercial' site (not applicable at all or necessary) to the useless referral to the control panel only for all of us to snoop around and find that there is no 'home' key adjustment possible!

HP Recommended

[edit]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.