Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop17-ca1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My backlit keyboard continually times out.  The F5 key only works like a dimmer.  How can I make the backlighting stay on? 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@JohnsonDW

I have gone through your Post and would like to assist

Not every Notebook Model has the option to adjust the back light timings. Most notebook only have the option to Turn ON and Turn OFF the Back Light

I suggest you check if the settings are available

Your BIOS version and screens might vary.

1. Restart the notebook, and then immediately press the F10 repeatedly until the BIOS opens.

2. When the BIOS opens, use the arrow keys to navigate to the Advanced tab.

3. Navigate to Built-in Device Options, and then press Enter.

The Advanced tab showing Built-in Device Option highlighted

4. In the Built-in Device Options, select Backlit keyboard timeout.

5. Press the spacebar to open the keyboard backlight settings, and then select the timeout setting you want.

NOTE: If you select Never, the backlight remains on which could quickly drain the notebook battery power.

Backlit keyboard timeout options

Note:  If there is not a setting for the backlight timing in the BIOS, this behavior might not be supported on the notebook. Check your notebook model's product support documentation to confirm support.

Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01612362

Thank you and have a great day 😃

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on the Public Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP did a bios update to my laptop yesterday but still no option to adjust the keyboard backlit timeout.  F5 only functions as a dimmer.  Backlit times out every 30 seconds.  Very annoying.  What other options are there?

HP Recommended

@JohnsonDW I hope you know that not all keyboards have an option to use the timeout feature by design, that's only available on limited devices, that said, here's all you need to know about using the backlight of your keyboard:

Toggle backlight settings:

If your notebook computer has a backlit keyboard, press the F5 or F4 (some models) key on the keyboard to turn the light on or off. It might be necessary to press the fn (function) key at the same time.

If the backlight icon  is not on the F5 key, look for the backlit keyboard key on the row of function keys.

Backlit keyboard key and fn keys highlighted

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The backlit icon is on my F5 key but it only works like a dimmer. Press once the backlit is bright. Press again and the backlit is dim. Press a third time and the backlit goes off.  This key does not effect the time out. In bright or dim it still times out in 30 seconds.  Whatever has it set to 30 seconds should be able to be changed.

HP Recommended

@JohnsonDW I'm afraid the backlit timeout cannot be changed in most consumer laptops including yours, it's just set to defaults by design and there's nothing we can do to make changes to it.

I hope you understand.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

What I understand is that to have a backlit keyboard function that you can't control makes no sense. Why would HP not give the consumer the ability to adjust to their liking?  Poor design.   Had I known that was the case, I would have bought a Dell.

Thanks for the information.

HP Recommended

@JohnsonDW I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information. 

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.