Jay60 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How to fix HP G61 keyboard? some keys not working some keys type the wrong stuff?

Hi, thanx for ur time in reading this.

My laptop keyboard suddenly stopped working, some number keys an some character keys not working. But my biggest problem is the letters, you see:

a = aq

s = sw

d = de

f = fr

j = ju

k = ki

l = lo

etc.

And i checked there is no dust or anything under the keyboard!

PLEASE HELP!

6 REPLIES 6
Provost
Provost
49520 49492 9890 16543
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How to fix HP G61 keyboard? some keys not working some keys type the wrong stuff?

Hi,

Try the following.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
mcar Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My HP G61 keyboard has keys that are no longer working.  This happened in proximity to receiving battery 601 error messages.  I am not able to press "esc" at the begining of startup as it does not work.  I have taken out the battery entirely and am writing this message using on AC power.  Thank you in advance to your help with both problems. 

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2192
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mcar,

I understand you are having an issue with the computer no functioning with the battery in. You could follow this document for Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset. It helps with functionality on the Notebook.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

Incorrect Characters are Displayed when Using Keyboard could be fixed by following this document set the keyboard language.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01458194

Let me know.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
mcar Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your previous replies however neither the hardreset or the updating of the drivers has resolved anything.  My esc and backspace keys did not work now it has worsened and now the numbers keys to the right of my keyboard no longer work as well as F7 F12 and this was not happening before.  I have also taken an external usb keyboard and connected it to my computer (G61 420sl) and everything worked perfectly so I know it is not a driver or software problem.  Please advise as I need my computer to work.

Thank you for your time. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2192
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mcar,

I understand you are having issues with the keyboard on your HPG61. If  you follow this document on Incorrect Characters are Displayed when Using Keyboard it will help resolve the issue.

Make sure the keys themselves are not stuck and can move.

Did something get spilled on the keyboard?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01458194

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Influx209 Tutor
Tutor
16 13 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Havent heard from a HP tech yet on my post so I am posting the link here in hopes that someone might reply.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Keyboard-stops-working-after-se...

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation